Fw: El Paso county, Big Johnson reservoir --- 8 species of gull, 4/14/14

Mark Peterson

Apr 15, 2014, 10:28:50 AM4/15/14
to CoBirds
COBirders,

I sent this last night but it apparently did not make it out???  I apologize if you receive it twice.

I stopped at Big Johnson reservoir tonight around 5:30 and planned to just give a quick look before heading back home.  I finally left around 7.  Upon arriving there was a nice spanky looking COMMON LOON right out from me.  Eventually I found at least four Common Loons and at one point three of them were together.  But the real highlight for me was an apparent 2nd cycle GLAUCOUS GULL.  The bird seems to be very bleached as it is almost pure white with only the belly showing a little ducky color.  The bird was quite far most of the time but a couple of times it got up and flew around as the adult BALD EAGLE made passes over the reservoir.  The bird was finally seen next to an adult HERRING GULL and it was larger and bulkier.  Hopefully the bird will stick around and come closer.

Here are the details:

12 Bonaparte's Gull
75 Franklin's Gull
75 Ring-billed Gull
150 California Gull
3 Herring Gull (2 first cycle and 1 adult)
1 Thayer's Gull (1st cycle)
1 Lesser Black-backed Gull (3rd cycle)
1 Glaucous Gull

Also of note were two SNOWY EGRETs.