Common redpolls, Horsetooth mountain park, Larimer county

arvind panjabi

Feb 12, 2018, 11:08:25 AM2/12/18
to Colorado Birds

The Redpoll flock is back again at the same brushy draw, about 300 yards from the main parking lot trailhead along the pedestrian/hiking trail.

They were hunkered down on the ground and flushed as I approached but returned immediately to the ground where they are presumably foraging for something, but they are difficult to see once they go down so I have no idea what they’re getting. Whatever it is it must be better than what I am offering at my feeders, which are only about 1/4 mile away. As before, they were first detected by voice giving soft, frequent ‘chup’ notes. These birds have not been reliable, but this is now the fourth time I’ve run into them in this same draw.  I suspect they might stick around there for a few hours during the snow.

Arvind Panjabi
5500’ on the north slope of Milner Mountain
Larimer, Co.

arvind panjabi

Feb 13, 2018, 12:12:23 PM2/13/18
to Colorado Birds
Redpolls were back again this morning, same place.

Arvind Panjabi
Fort Collins