Phalaropes and Stilts at Duck Lake (LARIMER)

John Shenot

Aug 27, 2015, 8:14:29 PM8/27/15
to Colorado Birds
This morning there were phalaropes and black-necked stilts on Duck Lake, on Carpenter Rd (Hwy 392) near Fossil Creek Reservoir. Most of the phalaropes were definitely Wilson's but at least 2 Red-necked were also present. Since I found none of these species at Fossil Creek Reservoir, maybe these are the same birds other birders saw at Fossil Creek a couple of weeks ago?

Fossil Creek Res had high numbers of grebes, egrets, gulls, and ducks, but I didn't find any unexpected species. The number of Franklin's Gulls was impressive, as previously reported by other birders.

Thank you all for sharing sightings and happy birding!

John Shenot
Fort Collins, CO