Gull ID help - Aurora - Arapahoe County

JBreitsch - Denver

Nov 25, 2013, 6:00:28 PM11/25/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering if someone could help me with a couple of gull IDs.  These are both from Aurora Reservoir, where I thought I'd take a look at some of the birds seen yesterday.  I'm larus challenged, however, so I could use all the help I can get.

The first bird, I'm calling an immature Glaucous Gull.  It is a large bird, bi-colored (pink with black tip) bill, pink legs, pale color, whitish wingtips, dark eye:

The second I'm just calling a gull.  I didn't notice any dark or black wing tips on this one.  It also seemed bigger than all the birds around it and had a slightly less streaked head.

I apologize for the over sharpening and lack of perfect field mark views.  There are other shots of these, and one I'm calling a Lesser Black-backed Gull.

John Breitsch
Denver, CO