Lewis's Woodpecker, Estes Park, Larimer Co., 7/31

Jim Nelson

Jul 31, 2015, 12:16:26 PM7/31/15
to cobi...@yahoogroups.com, cob...@googlegroups.com
On my daily birding/newspaper buying walk in Estes Park this morning, I was amazed to find a handsome male Lewis's Woodpecker posing in a dead ponderosa pine along Mary's Lake Road just uphill from the intersection with Lower Broadview Road. I got a quick, out-of-focus picture before it flew west. I don't know if it will be hanging around the area. It was just about a tenth of a mile as the woodpecker flies from the piece of Rocky Mountain National Park that reaches Mary's Lake Road and Moraine Avenue, north of Lower Broadview. So I just missed adding it to my RMNP list.

Jim Nelson
Bethesda, Maryland