Bird Conservancy Banding Report - Barr Lake Station, 9/22/17

Meredith...@birdconservancy.org

Sep 22, 2017, 8:48:48 PM9/22/17
to Colorado Birds
Best day of the season so far, in terms of numbers and variety.  71 new birds, 19 species.  First-of-season birds included a very young Western Tanager and an adult Spotted Towhee.  But the real excitement of the day was the capture of a Common Poorwill. A first for both me and the volunteer bander working with me today, we were spellbound - big eyes, huge mouth, prominent whiskers and super, super soft feathers.  Breakdown for the day:

Common Poorwill 1
Hammond's Flycatcher 1
Dusky Flycatcher 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Hermit Thrush 1
Gray Catbird 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 15
Yellow Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Wilson's Warbler 31
Western Tanager 1
Spotted Towhee 1
Green-tailed Towhee 3
Chipping Sparrow 1
Brewer's Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 3
Lincoln's Sparrow 3
White-crowned Sparrow, Gambel's 3
Dark-eyed Junco, Pink-sided 1

Come visit! We are open 6 days per week (*CLOSED Mondays*), weather permitting, through October 15. We are opening nets at 6:30 and should have birds back at the station before 7:30. We will close most days by about 11:30. School groups arrive most weekdays at
about 9:30.

Meredith McBurney
Bander
Barr Lake Station