flood clousures notices Boulder County

JohnT

Sep 14, 2013, 9:11:42 AM9/14/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Cobirds:
              A few notices for you intrepid birders:

Boulder County Parks - all parks throughout Boulder County are listed as "Closed"

City of Boulder Mountain Parks and Open Space - all Open Space Properties and Boulder Mountain Park are Closed - website says 1000 dollar fine and 90 days in prison may occur.

Rocky Mt. National Park is Closed.

Many north south arteries crossing Boulder Creek are closed - including 75th Street and 95th Street.    Route 287 is open.

The Teller Lakes trails are closed. The White Rocks Trails are closed.  Walden \ Sawmills complex is closed.

Singletree Trail in Louisville is closed as well as some connecting trails.  Coal Creek Golf Course was still flooded as of yesterday.

Please help authorities, engineers, and construction people by staying out of these areas.

The sun came out yesterday:
Brewer's blackbird with young in a pine tree at 63rd and Lookout Road
Cedar waxwings - Louisville neighborhood
Lark sparrows - several dozen at the Aquarius Trailhead parking lot
Chipping sparrow - several dozen at the Aquarius Trailhead parking lot
Barn swallow - looking bedraggled, on top of the building at Spectra Logic - 63rd and Lookout
Red Tailed hawk - Boulder, Louisville, Lafayette
Swainson's hawk - McCasslin and South Boulder Road
American robin - small migratory groups moving through Louisville neighborhoods
American goldfinch - small groups feeding on weed seeds, Boulder County
all three dove species - doing just fine

Birds are really hungry now, after 4 days of rain.  Insects were out like crazy also, gathering nectar - honeybees, bumblebees, Edward's fritillary, moths, flies, and wasps - all after the nectar.

Be safe.   John T (Tumasonis)

Ted Floyd

Sep 14, 2013, 1:50:57 PM9/14/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Birders.

As John Tumasonis notes, it's challenging to get around Boulder County right now, and it's illegal to go birding at many hot spots in the county. But as John also says, there's a lot out there, everywhere. Walk around your neighborhood for just four or five minutes, and you'll hear the "wenk?" call of a Wilson's Warbler. Find a clump of willows, pish at it, and out will pop a half dozen Willys.

I feel compelled to comment on a Gray Flycatcher that I reported yesterday, Friday, September 13th, to eBird. The birds was just south of the Teller Farms parking area off Valmont Road. It was in an area that is illegal to enter--a point several of you have raised with me in private e-correspondence!

But the bird wasn't yet illegal when I was there... :-)

The yellow tape musta gone up right after I left. So the bird is now, it would seem, not legally chaseable. Sorry!

By the way, the night flight overnight, Friday-Saturday, Sept. 13-14, was decent over Lafayette.

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado