Bird Conservancy of the Rockies - Barr Banding Report 9/16/23

meredith

Sep 16, 2023, 7:27:17 PM9/16/23
to Colorado Birds
Just read through the reports from our other three stations for today - What a wide variety of experiences we had today!

The ~24 hours of drizzle and the first almost cold morning seem to have brought in some birds - we had only our second good day of the season.  We banded 50 new birds, which included two semi-rarities - A Philadelphia Vireo and a Blackpoll Warbler.  Coincidentally, the last Blackpoll was caught on 9/17/17 - almost exactly six years ago in another year when the lake water early in the season was really high.

Here's the breakdown of the 50 new birds:

Philadelphia Vireo 1
Rock Wren 1
House Wren 1
Swainson's Thrush 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 9
Blackpoll Warbler 1
Yellow Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Wilson's Warbler 31
Green-tailed Towhee 1
Clay-colored Sparrow 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 1

If you would like to visit, we have one-hour slots (up to 15 visitors at a time) from 7:30-8:30 most weekday mornings (Tues-Fri, we are closed on Mon) and 8, 9 , and 10 a.m. one-hour time slots on the weekends.  Click here to make a reservation.

Meredith McBurney
Bander, Barr Lake Station
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies