Red-headed Woodpecker near San Luis

mvjo...@gmail.com

May 28, 2024, 5:42:39 PMMay 28
to Colorado Birds
How often do you get to see the same bird, twice in two days? I think I did. Yesterday at Sanchez Reservoir, I saw a Red-headed Woodpecker fly into a cottonwood tree. Today, with the binocs and cameras left behind, I saw a Red-headed Woodpecker about 5 miles north of where I had seen it yesterday. I believe it was the same bird. As this bird wanders north, I would expect it at Smith Reservoir in a few days.

This species is considered rare in the San Luis Valley. Best way to see rare birds down here is to take your fishing pole instead of camera and binocs! I should know better!

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO