Northeast Colorado May 31 (Logan, Phillips, Washington)

David Dowell

May 31, 2014, 11:07:16 PM5/31/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Visiting Tamarack Ranch SWA in Logan County this time of year is a Colorado birding highlight, and many of us have visited recently.  Tim Smart and I started the day there, finding a soggy version of Tamarack this time.  Roads were sloppy, and walking to the river would have involved wading in ankle- to knee-deep water at least three times.  Nevertheless, the birding was enjoyable.  The most memorable birds on the east side were a GREEN HERON at the fishing pond (area 13) and singing male CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER somewhere between areas 13 and 12.  The surprise on the west side was 3 LESSER GOLDFINCHES (area 2).  Expected local specialties were at Tamarack this morning, including Bell's Vireos (areas 1 and 2 on the west side), Northern Cardinals, 3 types of Orioles, Field Sparrows, lots of Red-bellied and Red-headed Woodpeckers, and a Great Crested Flycatcher.  We were unable to find any Cuckoos.  Other birds this morning included a singing Willow Flycatcher, two Yellow-breasted Chats, lots of Blue Grosbeaks, hybrid Towhees, and a good candidate (can't be sure) for male Eastern Towhee.

Near Hwy 138 between Crook and Jumbo/Red Lion (Logan County), we found an UPLAND SANDPIPER perched on a fence post.  At Red Lion SWA itself, the highlights were a GOLDEN EAGLE and several BLACK TERNS.

At Holyoke Cemetery (Phillips County), we found a singing immature AMERICAN REDSTART, a Baltimore x Bullock's Oriole (probably the one reported recently by Kellner and Lawrence), and nearby singing Dickcissels (also previously reported).  At the nearby Fishin' Hole, the most interesting find was an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER.

Before heading home, we stopped by Prewitt Reservoir and birded below the dam (Washington County side).  We found it to be eerily quiet.  This area can really be hit or miss.

David Dowell
Longmont, CO