Timnath Reservoir (LARIMER) - no sightings - update on access policy for non-residents

John Shenot

Jun 29, 2015, 4:41:35 PM6/29/15
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Sean Walters reported earlier this month that the Town of Timnath had adopted a policy excluding non-residents from access to Timnath Reservoir and the town park on the west side of the reservoir.

I've been in touch with town officials on behalf of concerned birders and in my capacity as chapter president of the Fort Collins Audubon Society (FCAS). Today I received an encouraging email from Brian Williamson in the Community Development Department, saying he had discussed our concerns with the Town Manager and they decided to "allow members of the Audubon Society to access the reservoir for the interim time while we work on a possible update to the Policy."

FCAS has accepted an invitation to talk to the Town Council at their 7/28 meeting about the policy. It is not likely that any decisions will be made at that meeting, but our remarks will inform any future policy updates.

We have no guarantee that the Town will permanently change its policy, but I'm doing the best I can. For the time being, Audubon members have access. Mr. Williamson said he would alert Shane, who greets people at the reservoir, and the Police Department of this temporary update to the Policy.

John Shenot
Fort Collins, CO