Joe Roller sad news

Larry Modesitt

Nov 25, 2020, 5:45:14 PM11/25/20
to Colorado Birds

Cobirders,

The very sad news is that Joe died last night of cancer just after midnight. His wife Maryanne said that despite his pain, he was still cracking jokes with the nurses yesterday morning. “He made me laugh every single day,” she said. Either one of their boys, Dan and Tom, was always able to be with him for the past month.

I was out running with my dog when Joe corralled us decades ago. That’s how I became one of many people Joe introduced to birding. That led to us birding together all over Colorado and the world. Joe’s love of teaching folks about birds, almost always with a humorous insight, continued through his illness. He was a valuable contributor to Denver Field Ornithologists, Bird Conservancy of the Rockies, Colorado Field Ornithologists, and the medical community. There has never been anyone like Joe Roller, and he will be missed greatly.

We can believe that last night just after midnight, St. Peter laughed harder than he had all year.

Larry Modesitt

Arvada

Gary Brower

Nov 25, 2020, 5:48:03 PM11/25/20
to larry....@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
This is very sad.

I never met Joe, but I received numerous emails from him on questions I’d raised on CO Birds. Always gracious.

Gary Brower
Unincorporated Arapahoe County

Brandon

Nov 25, 2020, 5:51:47 PM11/25/20
to Colorado Birds
I've known Joe Roller since like the early 1990s, always a fun guy to be around.  Sad day for sure to hear this news.

Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO

linda hodges

Nov 25, 2020, 5:52:50 PM11/25/20
to grb...@gmail.com, larry....@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
How heartbreaking; I had no idea he was ill.
Larry, you summed up Joe so well. He was always ready with a helping hand, diplomatic response or "teachable moment". His laughter and sense of humor will stay with me a very long while.

Linda Hodges
Colorado Springs

Diane Roberts

Nov 25, 2020, 6:00:34 PM11/25/20
to hiker...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds, grb...@gmail.com, larry....@gmail.com
Joe loved his birding stories and remembered a great deal of Colorado County firsts. His devotion to his wife, Maryanne, was heartwarming. I will miss his help & love of birding. RIP Joe.

Diane Roberts
Highlands Ranch, CO

--
Diane Roberts

David Tønnessen

Nov 25, 2020, 6:18:01 PM11/25/20
to Diane Roberts, linda hodges, Colorado Birds, grb...@gmail.com, larry....@gmail.com
I didn't know Joe personally but it sounds like the birding community and world lost a great human. I've recieved numerous emails from him (as a regional hotspot editor for eBird) about new hotspot suggestions usually with encouraging words of affirmation, and he was always most helpful with clarifying hotspot qualifications or suggestions for alternative names.

My condolences to his family.

David Tonnessen
Colorado Springs, CO
CU Boulder Student

John D

Nov 25, 2020, 6:38:07 PM11/25/20
to larry....@gmail.com, cob...@googlegroups.com
Sad news indeed , we will miss him. Joe adopted me when I first arrived in Colorado in 2006 and  quickly got me involved with CFO , DFO and the birding community and enjoyed many birding trips with him throughout Colorado as well as sharing rooms on birding trips to Sri-Lanka , Ecuador and Bolivia .Always had a sense of humor no matter how poor the birding was or the weather .

He will be missed .

John Drummond
Colorado Springs.

Wayne Wathen

Nov 25, 2020, 7:14:01 PM11/25/20
to larry....@gmail.com, jxdr...@aol.com, cob...@googlegroups.com
I can't really add much from what was already said.  He didn't was one of the good guys.  Always kind and always helpful.  It has been a while since I last saw him, which I think was at Warren Finch's memorial service.  He too will be missed but not forgotten.

Wayne Wathen
Highlands Ranch

Nov 25, 2020, 7:15:00 PM11/25/20
to samat...@gmail.com, hiker...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds, grb...@gmail.com, larry....@gmail.com
Joe was special.  I always enjoyed my time with him.  He obvious love of life was wonderful to experience.  I will miss him.
Walt Combs

Lea A Brown

Nov 25, 2020, 7:15:00 PM11/25/20
to larry....@gmail.com, cob...@googlegroups.com
A huge loss for our birding community. I’m so sorry to hear this.

Bob reminded me about the first time we met Joe.

We were upstream from Kingfisher Bridge chasing a rare warbler in a thicket. I wish our memories could recall for sure, but our records indicate it could have been a Northern Parula, September 1991.

After a long unsuccessful search we were surprised when Joe popped up from the other side of the thicket searching for the same bird. He was in his blue hospital scrubs, face mask and all. Probably had just ducked out of a surgery as soon as he could.

It was somewhat of a humorous way to meet someone.

He related to birders of all levels. That was his gift for us.

RIP Joe Roller.

Lea Ann Brown, Bob Brown
Highlands Ranch

Megan Miller

Nov 25, 2020, 7:35:58 PM11/25/20
to wsco...@gmail.com, Diane Roberts, hiker...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds, grb...@gmail.com, larry....@gmail.com
I received many emails from Joe over the years and many time wrote my ebird comments and descriptions addressed to him and his joy of the absurd. Our in person interactions were sparse enough that I was graced with an introduction and enthusiastic handshake every time we met. I dont remember the first time I met Joe because I met him so many other time. "Hi Megan! Joe Roller. Nice to see you again."

I had been looking forward to so many more.

Megan M
Denver, Co

mblackford

Nov 25, 2020, 8:06:09 PM11/25/20
to larry....@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
I know I am only one of so many whose lives were touched by Joe Roller.  On one of our birding tours, he convinced me that the walkie-talkies had a great value in the field, and he taught me how to use them.   That was only a small part of what he taught me.

He was such a character, always with the jokes and good humor.   As a teacher, he would tell of ways to identify birds in the field, in flight, etc... and resources one could use to teach oneself.   He did the same with helping people find locations of the birds.    It seems like very recently he was instructing others on how to use eBird or Cobirds websites on finding birds.

The community has lost a wonderful person and a great source of knowledge.   He will be sorely missed.

Maureen Blackford
Boulder County

Nov 25, 2020, 8:16:29 PM11/25/20
to Colorado Birds
Joe and I only met in person a few times, but emailed many times. He helped me in properly documenting rare bird sightings several times. He encouraged me to join the Denver Field Ornithologists. I can't say enough great things about him, because it would take hours!
My thoughts are with his family.
Susan Rosine
Brighton

elena

Nov 25, 2020, 8:17:12 PM11/25/20
to flamm...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Thank you for sharing this sad news; I often wrote back and forth with Joe about birds and jokes, and am so saddened to hear this. It is a huge loss for the Colorado birding community as well as beyond. Please send condolences to the family on behalf of folks like me who only knew Joe, and only through birding.

Sent from my iPhone
Elena Holly Klaver
Federally Certified Court Interpreter
Conference Interpreter
English <> Spanish

Member: American Translators Association
Colorado Translators Association
Pronouns: she, her, hers

I acknowledge that I live in the territory of Hinóno’éí (Arapaho), Cheyenne and Ute Nations, according to the 1851 Treaty of Fort Laramie, and that Colorado’s Front Range is home to many Native peoples. Reconozco que vivo en el territorio de las naciones Hinóno’éí (Arapaho), Cheyenne y Ute, según el 1851 Tratado de Fort Laramie, y que el estado de Colorado al esté de las Montañas Rocosas es territorio de muchos pueblos indígenas.

DAVID J WALTMAN

Nov 25, 2020, 8:23:28 PM11/25/20
to larry....@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Larry and others have done a great job of paying tribute to Joe, so I can’t add a lot.  My experience was that he was so funny and fun to be around.  So many of us benefited from his sharing of birding knowledge and humor including many who never met him but read his comments on cobirds.  I once asked him after he retired if he missed working.  He said he didn’t miss the responsibility, but he missed his colleagues.  You can be sure that they missed him.
David Waltman
Boulder

Mark Chavez

Nov 25, 2020, 9:13:35 PM11/25/20
to davidto...@gmail.com, Diane Roberts, linda hodges, Colorado Birds, grb...@gmail.com, larry....@gmail.com
I’m extremely sad to hear the news about Joe.  There are people in your life, career, and this case hobby that have a huge impact.  Joe taught me to enjoy the hobby with laughter. He was the first to recognize and thank the person who found a great bird. When he came to my house and thanked me for the Anna’s he reminded me how lucky I was to have the ladies in my life.  He was truly a family guy!!!!  Joe will truly be missed!!!!

Mark Chavez

Sent from my aughtiPhone

Larry Modesitt

Nov 25, 2020, 9:44:39 PM11/25/20
to Colorado Birds
I passed on to Maryanne all the wonderful tributes you have posted to Cobirds, and she does appreciate them.

If anyone wants to contact Maryanne directly, her email is   maryann...@gmail.com, and her physical address is 965 S. Garfield St., Denver, CO 80209
Larry

jared.d...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2020, 10:17:17 PM11/25/20
to Colorado Birds
I was fortunate to meet Joe back in 2015ish, when he took an interest in birds I was reporting around Cheesman Park in Denver. Ever the county lister, he was and remained. I think it was a Red Crossbill flock that drew him north to Cheesman from the Wash Park area.

I was glad to meet him, for reasons others have given: his knowledge of birds, birding, and Colorado birders; his commitment to DFO (and eBird!); his sense of humor; and his openness to non-birders. On that final point: Joe joined a group of local birders and me for a Centennial-area winter bird count a few years ago, but we'd frequently lose him to his conversations with passerby about birds and DFO. He usually had a stash of DFO business cards on him, and he'd give them to anyone who'd ask him what he was looking at.

This year began for me with owling for the urban Denver CBC along the High Line Canal. A Great Horned Owl was, as it often is, my first bird of the year. Joe joined me around 7:30, making him the first person (and one of only a few) I would bird with in 2020. In truth, he was the first person I'd have a conversation with, too, as I left my house long before my wife would wake that morning.

About 20 minutes before Joe arrived, I'd spotted a Merlin with prey. He badly wanted to see it, so we backtracked. I was relieved to find it on the same perch, gripping still its prey. Feathers still drifted down. We inspected some that now covered the High Line Canal Trail and were able to identify the Merlin's kill as a Dark-eyed Junco. (I believe Joe took some photos of that feather, as I can't find them on my own phone; I believe it was the white-edged tail feathers that gave the prey away.)

Our list was fairly ordinary that day, but the encounter with the Merlin memorable. More than that, I'm just so grateful to have had an opportunity to bird with Joe this year. Colorado birding won't be the same without him.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

Nathan Pieplow

Nov 25, 2020, 10:29:51 PM11/25/20
to Colorado Birds

Among all the other wonderful things that have been written about Joe Roller today, one important point has so far been missed. Joe was a one-man outreach committee from the birding community to the public.

Remember the fire that burned the migrant trap at Last Chance? Joe was the one who made contact with the landowners and coordinated the volunteer effort to restore the habitat. Whenever there was a question about birder access to private (or public) property, or a conflict brewing between birders and the public, Joe was the one who would take it upon himself to reach out and try to negotiate a solution. He would then report back to COBirds what he had learned.

One terrific way for us to honor Joe's memory would be to step up and reach out to non-birders in ways that we often don't. His style of outreach is sorely needed, and he's not around anymore to do it for us, so it's up to us now.

He was a dear friend and I miss him.

Nathan Pieplow
Boulder

CHARLES

Nov 25, 2020, 11:05:21 PM11/25/20
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Joe made birding fun. He always had some the worse (and some of the best) jokes to tell. And he never stopped. He will be missed.

Charlie Lawrence

Centennial

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application

Nov 26, 2020, 12:09:38 AM11/26/20
to Colorado Birds

The news comes as a shock. Barb and I will miss Joe, but are thankful we knew him. Two weeks ago I emailed Joe to ask how he was doing. He replied with Churchillian courage, "When marching through hell, keep marching."  Never complain, never explain.

I admired Joe’s politeness and outgoing personality. My first memory of him was on a CFO convention field trip when we were taking a break at a Nebraska welcome center. Joe took the time to walk up to the senior woman behind the counter, probably a volunteer, and compliment her on the nice welcome center and how she was so helpful to visitors. She smiled and clearly enjoyed chatting with Joe. Introverted birders like me typically did not do that. Joe was a good example of kindness and outreach.

Joe loved recognizing other people’s  efforts and accomplishments. For years on the CFO Board he was in charge of awards. He took that very seriously and annually came up with some member who deserved thanks from the Colorado birding community. Joe also worked to recruit new Board members and officers. He was very good with people and had wide contacts. He was always the first to give hearty applause to CFO award winners at the annual convention banquet, whether he nominated them or not.

After Joe retired from the CFO Board I thought he would relax, but no, he took on the President’s position at DFO and did a great job invigorating DFO with creative and professional leadership..

I know Joe devoted many hours to the Boy Scouts over the years and was a leader there.

Lastly, I admired Joe’s life-long love and devotion to his tragically disabled wife, Mary Anne. Such constant care-giving is not easy, impossible for most of us, but he carried on over many years with Mary Anne’s well-being as his top priority.

He was a friend of mine, and many others.

Tom Wilberding
Littleton, Colorado

Robert Raker

Nov 26, 2020, 12:48:07 AM11/26/20
to Colorado Birds

So very sad to hear this news. Besides being a great guy to bird with, he was always so supportive discussing and providing advice regarding my battle with cancer. Ironic that he ended up passing before me.

Joe and I met in the most unusual of places, in a gastroenterology clinic. It was time for me to have my colonoscopy and my physician by chance turned out to be Dr. Roller. After the procedure, while I was recovering from the anesthesia, he found out from my wife that I was a birder and a photographer. So, in typical Joe Roller fashion, not ten seconds after I regained consciousness, he very excitedly insisted in taking me down to his private office to check out the penguin pictures he had just taken on a trip to Antarctica. We’ve been great friends ever since. You will be missed Joe!!

Rob Raker
Lakewood CO
Jefferson County

Karl Stecher Jr.

Nov 26, 2020, 2:40:05 AM11/26/20
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I didn't know Joe was ill in this COVID-confined year, and my chest sank when I read the news.
I don't know how long we knew each other.  Besides the many encounters at meetings, I recall the Ross' gull we watched together at Cherry Creek SP and the several encounters scanning Marston from the east side.
We had multiple exchanges of information with many of the humorous comments one on one and not thought pertinent to all of cobirds.
I was always glad to see him.  Not mentioned yet here (I think) is the extensive knowledge he had of such things as history and literature, besides medicine and birds.
It was a privilege to have known him.

Karl Stecher
Aurora

Nov 26, 2020, 10:45:53 AM11/26/20
to tehei...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Joe was a dedicated and skilled birder. His name still sits at or near the top of many CFO county birding lists. When a rarity showed up at a Colorado location, it was likely he could tell you the year and location he had first seen that species in the state.

But it is fitting that most of the memories we have of him are the personal connections. As many tributes reflect, Joe loved people as much as birds and related easily with people through humor, stories and empathy.

Joe impacted my life in many ways, but one of my fondest memories was a meeting with Joe shortly after I had managed to use bear spray on myself. Seeing my inflamed red face, Joe asked what had happened. I explained in prosaic detail how I had closed the lid of a box containing the bear spray can and triggered the spray. At the conclusion of the story, Joe wryly observed, “You’ve got to tell a better story than that!” Years after, I’m still trying to figure out how to work a bear into the story.

When Joe became President of Denver Field Ornithologists, his stories and humor always kicked off the meetings with an upbeat feeling. He took birding seriously, but knew that in the long run the purpose was fun.

His manner was easy-going, but Joe brought out the best in the people and organizations he touched.

Chuck Hundertmark
Lafayette, CO

arvind panjabi

Nov 26, 2020, 11:13:40 AM11/26/20
to chunde...@gmail.com, tehei...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Very saddened and shocked to hear this news.  Joe was great man and these stories being back fond memories of him.  I knew him mostly as a board member of Bird Conservancy of the Rockies and always looked forward to seeing him at our events and meetings.  Among the many things I am thankful for today, I am thankful that I got to know Joe and his kind and generous spirit.  Like Nathan said, it’s now up to all of us to be more like Joe.

Arvind Panjabi
Fort Collins, CO

Dave Hyde

Nov 26, 2020, 12:01:58 PM11/26/20
to chunde...@gmail.com, Colorado Birders

Sad news indeed I never met Joe but had a fine occasional correspondence with him these last several years. A friendly and supportive man and always responsive to my questions. His positive presence on CObirders helped make this a vibrant and enjoyable forum. Rest in Peace, Joe – Dave Hyde/nr Storm Mountain

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Joe was a dedicated and skilled birder. His name still sits at or near the top of many CFO county birding lists. When a rarity showed up at a Colorado location, it was likely he could tell you the year and location he had first seen that species in the state.

Lafayette, CO

Gregg Goodrich

Nov 26, 2020, 12:35:55 PM11/26/20
to Colorado Birds
We have lost a towering figure in Colorado birding. Joe was a mentor and teacher in my eyes. I remember Joe saying, "If you want to really learn something, teach it. And to become an expert, teach the teachers." I have found this to be true in my life. I learn something so much better when I help others learn it as well. The moral, share your knowledge and it will improve your understanding of the subject and help others as well. Joe will be greatly missed.

Gregg Goodrich
Highlands Ranch

Andrews Robert

Nov 26, 2020, 1:11:12 PM11/26/20
to Colorado Birds, Larry Modesitt

Hello all,

It is indeed sad to hear of Joe Roller’s death. I have known him for many years, birding together, talking at meetings, and in recent years mostly communicating by email. Every interaction I have had with him over the years has been positive and enjoyable. I concur with all of the many comments that have already been posted about Joe as I have noticed the same character traits so many others have mentioned. I will miss him as indeed the entire Colorado birding community will.

Bob Andrews

Yekepa, Liberia, West Africa

Deborahann S-C

Nov 26, 2020, 1:53:01 PM11/26/20
to raco...@yahoo.com, Colorado Birds, Larry Modesitt
I didn't have the honor to meet Joe Roller, though I learned a lot from his Cobirds posts. Whenever I saw his name, I was invariably reminded of a colorful bird I saw in Botswana -- the Lilac-Breasted Roller -- and I imagine him flying over the Chobe River now. Soar high, Joe! I will miss you, too.

Deborahann Smith-Cleveland
North Boulder, Colorado

Diana Beatty

Nov 26, 2020, 7:03:06 PM11/26/20
to dako...@gmail.com, raco...@yahoo.com, Colorado Birds, Larry Modesitt
I believe the Lilac-Breasted Roller was/is his Profile Photo on Facebook, Deborahann.  Thanks for sharing.

--

******

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Diane Roberts

Nov 26, 2020, 8:23:49 PM11/26/20
to otowi...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds, Larry Modesitt, dako...@gmail.com, raco...@yahoo.com
Nathan wrote of Joe reaching out to smooth the wary & engage the non-birders. We were on a DFO field trip on the eastern prairie. There was this fantastic hedge row, our group across the street. I don’t think Joe ever meet a stranger. He sauntered across the road to a country older couple and posed the question: “Have you ever seen a birder.” As he schmoozed, they allowed us on their property to bird. Still tickles me to this day 💕

Diane Roberts
Highlands Ranch, CO
--
Diane Roberts

Brian Johnson

Nov 26, 2020, 9:24:30 PM11/26/20
to Colorado Birds
This is sad news. My thoughts got out to his family.
I never got to meet Joe. I did however trade a few emails with him. He will be missed.
Brian Johnson
Englewood CO

Joyce Takamine

Nov 27, 2020, 3:24:56 AM11/27/20
to Colorado Birds

Joe was of tremendous help to me when I was doing the RBA.  When I needed
Someone to sub for me Joe would find people to help and he ad others took
over when I retired.  Joe was the one who kept the RBA running for as long as it did.

Joyce Tak amine

Andrews Robert

Nov 27, 2020, 3:28:28 AM11/27/20
to Cobirds

Hello all,

Anyone who goes birding in eastern and southern Africa will see Lilac-breasted Rollers, and inevitably it is at or near the top of the list of favorite birds. They are colorful, outgoing, and always a delight to see. Very much like Joe Roller himself.

Bob Andrews

Yekepa, Liberia, West Africa

Dave Cameron

Nov 27, 2020, 3:34:48 PM11/27/20
to Colorado Birds
I saw Joe speak a couple of times, met him in person a couple of times, but emailed back and forth with him many times over the years.  Sometimes he wrote me to ask for information about a sighting I"d posted, and sometimes he wrote to give me information about such a sighting.  He was always informative and funny, and full of kindness.  He was the nice old uncle you wanted to to take you fishing.  Or better yet, birding.  My favorite Joe story was when someone thought they saw a Ross' Gull out in the middle of Cherry Creek Res, so Joe sprang into action and ponied up a couple of bucks for two guys who had a boat to haul him out there on the double to confirm it.   Joe was a legend in the Colorado birding community-- if you got around enough to know anyone, you knew who he was.  We are very saddened to hear of his passing, and offer our heartfelt condolences to his family.

Dave Cameron
Denver

mvjo...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2020, 7:04:40 PM11/27/20
to Colorado Birds
I was very saddened to hear this news. I have known Joe for quite some time and have birded along the trails with him in the past.  Always affable and wonderful to be around. Most recently (a few months ago), and I never would have suspected he was ill, he worked diligently with me to help establish the Toivo Malm Trail birding hotspot in Alamosa.  We went back and forth in trying to get it right and set up properly. Since I was a novice at Ebird, he walked me through the steps and was always helpful in a positive and supportive manner. I feel fortunate to have known Joe. Prayers for his family.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO

guan1...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2020, 8:44:16 AM11/28/20
to Colorado Birds
I am so very sad to hear of Joe's passing. He touched so many people in so many ways with grace, humor, and kindness. When Joe talked to a person we each felt like we were the only person on the planet at that moment. He taught me many things about birds--how to look, how to see, and how to find. And with great thankfulness I remember how kind he was to me upon the death of my husband. He never forgot to ask how I was doing. To say I will miss you is such an understatement.

Chris Owens
Longmont

Jake Shorty

Nov 28, 2020, 8:44:16 AM11/28/20
to Colorado Birds
The few times I ran into Joe or communicated with him over email, he was an incredible source of knowledge, and his enthusiasm was contagious; the sort of birder and person one aspires to be like. I'm grateful to have met him.

Thank you Joe! I'll keep my eyes out for that Greater Pewee.

Jake Shorty
Denver

Jayne James

Nov 28, 2020, 12:03:44 PM11/28/20
to guan1...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
I didn’t know Dr. Roller, but I just want to say that the outpouring of admiration and respect for him that I’m reading makes me feel such admiration and respect for all of you in the Colorado birding community. Despite the sad occasion, hearing about this warm human connection is comforting during these frightening, unhappy days. I’d like to add my condolences to his family and friends.

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 6:44 AM guan1...@gmail.com <guan1...@gmail.com> Owrote:
--
Jayne

Jayne James

Nov 28, 2020, 4:11:31 PM11/28/20
to Cobirds
--
Jayne

Ira Sanders

Dec 3, 2020, 12:55:01 AM12/3/20
to Jayne James, Ira Sanders, Cobirds
On the afternoon of Friday, November 18, 2010, as I was driving Tammy to a doctor's appointment for outpatient surgery, I got a call from Joe about a rare bird that started something like "whatever you are doing, drop it and get to Cherry Creek Res RIGHT NOW.  Don't ask questions, just go."  Joe was always good about getting the word out on good birds but tended to get a little worked up about the urgency of getting there when calling with the news.  I told him my situation and he said to "drop Tammy off at the hospital, she won't mind and go back later and get her."  He then told me it was the Ross's Gull and I needed to get to Cherry Creek NOW.  Being a Dr., I'm sure he figured I didn't really need to be there for the surgery and she'd understand.  Very pragmatic.  That was Joe.   He then hung up and I discussed the situation with Tammy who had heard the conversation.  She said I could drop her off as she knew how rare the gull is, but after a moment's thought, I went to the hospital and stayed there with her.
The next day I got to Cherry Creek early and saw the gull and saw Joe and thanked him.  He said I took a chance on the bird still being there.  I said I know but added at least I was still married and avoided a fight.  Tammy got the bird on Monday.

Ira Sanders
Golden, CO

--
Ira Sanders
Golden, CO

Karl Stecher Jr.

Dec 5, 2020, 9:33:27 AM12/5/20
to Colorado Birds, tehei...@gmail.com
A nice service for Joe yesterday, particularly the memories shared by his son.

So (as a French horn player, before they just started calling us "horns" (section)), this gives me an opportunity to respond with musician jokes:
   for violins...a hit man has the contract on the conductor and the viola player...whom does he eliminate first?  The conductor...business before pleasure.
   And the one block cartoon...two bass clefs are entering a bar, occupied on barstools and chairs by treble clefs:  Lets get out of here....this place is nothing but treble.

So that this might qualify for Cobirds, I note that I am writing this as I watch three bushtits on my suet.

Karl Stecher
Aurora