New AOU order

Leon Bright

Aug 9, 2016, 12:25:40 PM8/9/16
to Cobirds

COBirders,

Thanks to Joyce T. for the alert, and thanks for those who constructed the posting of the new CFO checklist.  After glancing over it I became dizzy.  For example, I found House Sparrow between Phainopepla and American Pipit.  Where is Wood Stork?  Not that I expect to see one in our state, but it’s between Yellow-billed Loon and Magnificent Frigatebird.  At my age I’m gonna have to use an alphabetized list.

Leon Bright, Westcliffe and Pueblo

Kay Niyo

Aug 9, 2016, 1:34:51 PM8/9/16
to urr...@comcast.net, Cobirds

I agree!  Thanks Mark, Joyce, and all!  Printed out a 2-sided version for my computer desk to look spp up when needed.  Compared the lists quickly and figure I will have a tough time finding some of them!  No finches at the end.  Hummers are way up front.  No way are guide books going to be kept up to date anymore!

Kay

Kayleen A. Niyo, Ph.D.

Niyo Scientific Communications

5651 Garnet St.

Golden, CO 80403

303.679.6646

K...@KayNiyo.com; www.KayNiyo.com

Tom Behnfield

Aug 10, 2016, 8:06:28 AM8/10/16
to Colorado Birds
Thanks for the info. I notice that Western Scrub Jay has been removed from my Colorado lists and has not been replaced by Woodhouse's Scrub Jay. I noticed quite a few on my "Needs List" this morning. I changed it in my first checklist of the year that contained Western Scrub Jay, but it has yet to update. Any thoughts?

Good birding!

Tom Behnfield
Lakewood, CO

David Suddjian

Aug 10, 2016, 9:18:21 AM8/10/16
to Tom Behnfield, Colorado Birds
eBird is currently running its annual taxonomic update, still in progress now, but it is expected to be completed shortly. In the meantime some things on birder's lists temporarily do funky things as the work is in progress.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO

Eric DeFonso

Aug 10, 2016, 8:30:36 PM8/10/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Does this mean the CFO checklist is auto-sync'ed to the eBird (and hence Clements) taxonomy? Just curious - I note that the 2016 Clements updates are now released as of today, and I assume the CFO checklist will then be revised shortly again.

For example, the CFO checklist at the moment (6pm, Aug 10) has an incorrect family sequence -

[...]
Partridges
Grebes
Pigeons and Doves
Cuckoos
Goatsuckers
Swifts
Hummingbirds
Rails
Cranes
Gulls
Loons
Storks
Herons
Ibises
New World Vultures
Osprey
Hawks, Eagles, etc
[...]

but in fact the order should be
[...]
Partridges
Loons
Grebes
Storks
Herons
Ibises
New World Vultures
Osprey
Hawks, Eagles, etc.
Rails
Cranes
Pigeons and Doves
Cuckoos
Owls
Goatsuckers
Swifts
Hummingbirds
[...]

and so forth. I've left a lot out obviously, but only to illustrate the big differences better. This should explain some of the confusion mentioned earlier in this thread about the difficulty of finding some of the family groups in the new checklist! Things have changed, yes, but not *that* much. :)

Eric

-------
Eric DeFonso
Westminster, CO

colorad...@aol.com

Aug 13, 2016, 11:07:06 PM8/13/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hi all:

The CFO, as does ABA and most (if not all) state- and province-level bird authorities in the ABA area, follow the AOU taxonomy and nomenclature, while eBird follows Clements.  That distinction is important in this case, because the AOU taxonomy covers only North America (Canada south through Panama), while eBird covers the world, thus the latter organization's need for a more-comprehensive taxonomy.  CFO's current taxonomy online is correct, for certain values of "correct."

Enjoy,

Tony Leukering
currently Cut Bank, MT

New AOU order
Tom Behnfield <behn...@gmail.com>: Aug 10 05:06AM -0700

behn...@q.com

On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 10:25:40 AM UTC-6, León wrote:
David Suddjian <dsud...@gmail.com>: Aug 10 07:18AM -0600

eBird is currently running its annual taxonomic update, still in progress
now, but it is expected to be completed shortly. In the meantime some
things on birder's lists temporarily do funky things as the work is in
progress.

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/taxonomy2016/

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO

Eric DeFonso <bay....@gmail.com>: Aug 10 06:30PM -0600

Eric DeFonso

Aug 17, 2016, 1:28:14 AM8/17/16
to colorad...@aol.com, cob...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tony - I had totally glossed over that the Clements update did not in fact incorporate the new higher order taxonomy of AOU-NA, at least for the time being. This plays some havoc with my own personal listing system, where my database needs to follow a global system like Clements but is still focused largely on the AOU-NA area where I spend most of my birding life. Oh well, what you gonna do.

Eric

-------
Eric DeFonso
Westminster, CO