Mountain Plover [Weld]

The "Nunn Guy"

Apr 16, 2018, 11:07:49 AM4/16/18
to Colorado Birds
Hi all

I went out to the Pawnee National Grassland for two reasons yesterday-find plovers and experience Weld CR 96.  The Keota site is the most reliable for plover of late last 3-4 years--last year had seven here)

I found six Mountain Plover (photos)  in total:
  • Weld CR 96 .6m west of Weld CR 61
    • Mountain Plover - 2 in burn area
  • Weld CR 96 .4m west of Weld CR 61
    • Mountain Plover - 2 (one on each side of road)
  • Weld CR 100 (1.5m west (on Weld CR 100) of intersection of Weld CR 100/Hwy 390 in Keota)
    • Mountain Plover - 2

My Weld CR 96 experience ... from Weld CR 57 to Weld CR 61 it was sad to see shotgun shells all over the place at every FS admin use service road as well as trash in the shoulder areas of the road.  Along with Baker Draw Recreational Shooting Complex having 6-7 cars there were 4 cars at aforementioned FS admin use road pullouts.  East of Weld CR 61 to Hwy 77 did not see any recreational shooters on Weld CR 96 nor any noticeable shotgun shells or trash that I saw west of Weld CR 61.

I'm meeting with Pawnee District Ranger this afternoon for a conversation let you know how that goes.

Thanks Gary Lefko, Nunn

http://coloradobirder.club/

Erik Hendrickson

Apr 18, 2018, 5:06:16 PM4/18/18
to Colorado Birds
Perhaps we birders need to encourage State Lawmakers to make birding a permitted activity, and require all of us to purchase an annual Birding License.

If we can contribute financially directly to Colorado Dept of Fish and Game, maybe it would be win-win.