White-rumped Sandpiper, Adams County

Brian Johnson

Aug 26, 2016, 8:06:52 PM8/26/16
to Colorado Birds

Today I went to Barr Lake to see what I could find. The biggest find was the White-rumped Sandpiper that I found at the mudflats along the boardwalk leading to the gazebo. It was mixed with one Western Sandpiper, a few Semipalmated Sandipeprs some Least Sandpipers along with a Long Billed Dowicher, a Lesser Yellow Legs and a two Solitary Sandpipers. I could not get a photo however. But the white supercilium was very obvious and in addition I saw a reddish area at the base of the mandible and when in flight (they all took off at one point which caused me to nearly swallow my heart as I was just getting the scope on them) the white rump was nice and visible. I had my book with me and my scope so I could have a detailed study, those peeps are hard! In addition, some White Faced-Ibis came flying in while I was having lunch at the gazebo, joining some Snowy Egrets. The gazebo proved to be the spot to be today. At the Neidrach Trail boardwalk I found some Barid’s Sandpipers also, leading to a very ‘peepish’ day. There was also a Peregrine Falcon at the banding station, which is new for my Adams County Checklist. Here are my two checklists. A very good day today at Barr Lake, but I have few bad days here.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31263319 Neidrach Trail with the peeps,

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31263382 Banding Station Area

Brian Johnson,

Englewood CO

Brian Johnson

Aug 31, 2016, 10:00:38 AM8/31/16
to Colorado Birds

It turned out that the White Rumped Sandpiper was really a miss identified Baird's Sandpiper. Sorry for the confusion. I want to thank Steve Mlodinow who fact checked me and helped me learn much more about those tricky but fun little guys. Still Barr Lake proved a good day despite the confusion. As the recent post about miss identified birds goes, I to have do so also, more recent then Audubon, at least I have something in common with famous bird watchers.
Brian Johnson
Englewood CO