Pink-sided Junco, Pueblo

Leon Bright

Apr 26, 2018, 12:14:33 PM4/26/18
to Cobirds

COBirders--  Yesterday I was surprised to see in my back yard a Dark-eyed Junco, subspecies Pink-sided.  I thought it seemed late for any junco at my elevation (4,700 ft.) so I checked the Colorado Breeding Bird Atlas II species account by Ted Floyd, p. 528.  Ted states that the only breeding form of Dark-eyed Junco in our state is the Gray-headed, so his account does not deal with the other Junco groups. He writes that nest building begins about now, with the vast majority of activity taking place west of the foothills. My question is, has anyone else seen any (non-Gray-headed) juncos at elevations below 5,000 feet in the last few days?

Leon Bright, Pueblo

Bill Maynard

Apr 26, 2018, 12:38:16 PM4/26/18
to urr...@comcast.net, Cobirds

Yes

linda hodges

Apr 26, 2018, 1:21:10 PM4/26/18
to Bill Maynard, urr...@comcast.net, Cobirds
I had one in Colo Spgs (El Paso County) a few days ago.