Painted Lady butterfly fact sheet

DAVID A LEATHERMAN

Sep 22, 2017, 10:32:03 AM9/22/17
to COBIRDS

http://bspm.agsci.colostate.edu/files/2013/03/Painted-Lady.pdf

the name “thistle caterpillar” is sometimes given Figures 4, 5. Painted lady larvae. An older larva is at the top a young one at the bottom.
Since so many birders are noting the big crop of Painted Ladies, I thought referral to the excellent fact sheet by Whitney Cranshaw is in order.  Like the note on Arthropods of Colorado website by Mike Weissmann that SeEtta mentioned, Whitney has communicated to the plant listserv the same story: the big influx of butterflies is locally produced, probably most of them being raised on thistles, although they feed on a lot of other common plants in our area.  The initial cloud-seeding is by migratory individuals from the Southwest in spring, but then they either do OK up here or have a bumper crop like they did this year.

I'd be interested in any reports of birds eating painted ladies.  My impression is they are not as sought after as some other common butterflies, say whites and sulfurs.  Of course, monarchs are mostly avoided but not totally.

Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins

Maureen Blackford

Sep 22, 2017, 11:40:23 PM9/22/17
to daleat...@msn.com, COBIRDS
While driving south on I25, there were numerous painted lady butterflies.   We stopped at a rest area just north of Trinidad, where a female Brewer's Blackbird had a painted lady in its mouth.  It dropped it when we pulled up, but came back for it after we parked and got out of the car.  It grabbed the painted lady butterfly and fly off.   It consumed it on the opposite side of the road.

Maureen Blackford
Boulder County

Doug Ward

Sep 24, 2017, 2:48:34 PM9/24/17
to COBIRDS

Following up on the interesting notes and encounters related to this year’s Painted Lady irruption, as well as David’s request for predation by birds feedback, I have an interesting (at least I thought so) anecdote to add to the mix.  Unfortunately for me, I’ve been swamped with work so far this fall, so haven’t had the chance to get out any place more exotic than our house here in southwest Denver (Denver Co.) – I work from home.  Fortunately, however, we only live a block from Huston Lake Park, and have a big yard, so the urban birding is actually pretty good.

Enough of my woes, and on to the story.  Yesterday (Sat., 23 Sept.) morning while working away, noticed a SAY’S PHEOBE out back, then surprisingly he was joined by a juvenile WESTERN KINGBIRD.  After watching the Kingbird catch, beat the...poop…out of, then down a large grasshopper, I watched him take after a Painted Lady only to turn back at the last second.  So, the young bird’s instinct, and the insect’s toxic coloration seemed to be in play.  However, a little later the Pheobe took after, caught, then ate one of the butterfly’s as its wings fluttered to the ground.  Sooo, could considering a Painted Lady prey be a learned behavior?  I thought it was interesting that two species from the same family, one that specializes in eating insects, behaved so differently – so there’s one to ponder David.

While on the topic of feeding behavior that I hadn’t observed before, also yesterday we had an adult male DOWNY WOODPECKER climbing around and hanging on ripe locust tree seed pods like a parrot.  He drilled into and fed on its seeds, at least that’s what it looked like.  Has anyone noticed animals besides squirrels exploiting this overly abundant crop?

So there’s the story – waiting for the second half.

Go Broncos,

Doug

Denver

24 Sept.’17  So. Alcott St., Denver, Denver Co.

Canada Goose – 8

Ring-billed Gull – 1

Rock Pigeon – 20

Eurasian Collared-Dove – 4

Downy Woodpecker – 1m

Northern Flicker – 3 “Red-shafted”

Say’s Pheobe – 1

Western Kingbird – 1 imm

Blue Jay – 5

Black-capped Chickadee – 4

American Robin – 1

White-crowned Sparrow – 1 imm “Gamble’s”

Red-winged Blackbird – 10

House Finch - 10

Doug Ward

Oct 6, 2017, 12:05:08 PM10/6/17
to Colorado Birds

While on the topic of bird feeding behavior, thought I’d finally follow up on the Downy Woodpecker/locust pod story I’d included in a post a few weeks back.  You’ll note David Leatherman provided a very interesting explanation – they are after Honeylocust Bean Weevils.  So with continued Downy activity in the locust tree out front, at least three (3) different individuals, I did investigate more thoroughly.  Sure enough, after checking a couple of pods, found the pupa of one of these little buggers.

Locust Pod Weevil Grub in Seed-cropped.jpgLocust Pod Weevil Larvae-cropped.jpg

Much larger than I was expecting, so hence the thought the woodpecker was taking the seed itself.  On that note, our Downies are pretty sloppy eaters leaving these everywhere:

Locust Pod post Downy Lunch-cropped.jpg

So, once again Dave provides us another layer of learning and enjoyment to our own personal study of birds.  This is what makes Nature so rewarding to embrace.

Good Birding,

Doug

Denver

PS – Dave, still need to track down your article.