Roger Linfield

Larry Modesitt

Nov 10, 2020, 11:55:05 AM11/10/20
to Colorado Birds

Colorado has lost a great one, as Roger Linfield yesterday lost an eight-month battle to cancer. He rose to the top (literally and figuratively) in many fields. Birders and Peak-baggers know him as the seventh person in the Fourteener/400 Club, reached after he climbed all of the 14,000’ peaks and saw 400 birds in Colorado. His name sits at the top of listers for such varied counties as Phillips and Clear Creek. Prior to peak-bagging, he was one of the nation’s top rock climbers, and he was a valued leader for the Colorado Mountain Club. After all of those exploits, Roger became interested kayaking. Many of these activities were shared with his wife, Brenda, who was a key board member of Colorado Field Ornithologists and joined Roger in the Fourteener/400 Club. For NASA’s Joint Propulsion Laboratory, then later at Ball Aerospace that brought him to Colorado, he was Dr. Roger Linfield, a celebrated astronomer. Roger led many of us on a remarkable trail of accomplishment, togetherness, and inspiration. I cherish the times we spent together, and I value what he taught me. He will be missed greatly—by many.

Larry Modesitt

Arvada

Brandon

Nov 10, 2020, 3:43:24 PM11/10/20
to larry....@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Sorry to hear this is very sad news.  Roger and his wife also found the only state record of Sandwich Tern at Manitou Lake in Teller County, an amazing bird for Colorado, that I doubt will show up again any time soon.

Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO

Gregg Goodrich

Nov 10, 2020, 3:55:23 PM11/10/20
to Colorado Birds
Roger was also a top county lister with at least 125 species in each of Colorado's 64 counties. We traveled to Cuba with Roger and Brenda and I remember his keen sighting got us the Cuban Black Hawk which we had just about given up on. As well as climbing the 14ers, he also climb the highest 899 peaks in Colorado. Brenda asks in lieu of flowers please consider a donation to the Community Foundation Boulder County - 2020 Fires Relief Fund.

Gregg Goodrich
Highlands Ranch

Gregg Goodrich

Nov 10, 2020, 8:03:39 PM11/10/20
to Colorado Birds
Here is the link if you would like to donate to the Community Foundation Boulder County - 2020 fires Relief Fund.

Gregg Goodrich
Highlands Ranch

Bill Maynard

Nov 10, 2020, 8:06:21 PM11/10/20
to larry....@gmail.com, Colorado Birds

COBirders,

Roger Linfield was a great person. I first met him on Attu Island in May 1985, yes Attu Class of 1985. Roger and maybe 7 more of us were young at the time and fit enough to chase all the Attu rarities on foot and on bicycles where we were delighted to see three bird species new to North America, Oriental Pratincole, Siberian Blue Robin, and Asian Brown Flycatcher. During dinner our group sat together and shared our personal stories of which Roger’s were, of course, the most impressive and they became even more impressive in the following years. R.I.P. Roger.

Bill Maynard

Colorado Springs

Arthur Bezuidenhout

Nov 10, 2020, 8:27:17 PM11/10/20
to larry....@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
I echo what everyone has said about Roger.  A really good man. The few times our paths crossed were memorable to me. The first being at the crux of summiting Mt Wilson. He made sure that I got up the crux and down safely.
Condolences to Brenda and all family!
Bez Bezuidenhout
Arapahoe County.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 9:55 AM Larry Modesitt <larry....@gmail.com> wrote:
[0,0]
|)__)
-”-”-

Duane Nelson

Nov 11, 2020, 8:02:24 AM11/11/20
to cob...@googlegroups.com

Birders,

My heart is heavy at the passing of Roger, one of my best friends. He was simply one of the most remarkable people I ever met. We first met at my house in Las Animas, CO in January of 2003, where I offered to take him see an Eastern Towhee coming to seed in a remote Bent County Canyon. He saw a dog-eared copy of Garratt and Martin's Colorado Thirteeners guide, leafed through it, and immediately offered to hike up the three hardest peaks I had remaining on my quest to finish climbing the Centennial (highest hundred) peaks in Colorado. The next summer, we climbed Dallas, Teakettle and Jagged Mountains.

I'm attaching a few pictures of Roger in his element, in order to show people another side to this giving, humble, and accomplished man. I last saw Roger in late January at an annual Climber's Gathering in Golden. One week later, he was diagnosed with cancer. Throughout his ordeal, he constantly updated me on his status, talked with me, and made plans for his return to climbing when he recovered.

Rest in peace, friend.

Duane Nelson, Las Animas, CO

Cinnamon Bergeron

Nov 11, 2020, 12:07:01 PM11/11/20
to Colorado Birds, dnel...@centurytel.net
Duane,

Thank you for sharing this story.  I don’t know Roger, but it still touched my heart.  I am sorry for your loss.

Cinnamon Bergeron

Larry Modesitt

Nov 11, 2020, 12:28:13 PM11/11/20
to Colorado Birds

Cobirders,

Brenda feels fortunate that Roger was able to connect with many people over the past several months. Those interactions felt like a memorial service of sharing warm memories—that Roger could attend and appreciate. Because of COVID, she isn’t planning a memorial service, as the reaching out from people while he was alive was way better. In lieu of flowers, Brenda and Roger would appreciate your considering a donation to the Community Foundation Boulder County - 2020 Fires Relief Fund. Here is the link:  https://www.commfound.org/2020firesfund

Larry Modesitt, Arvada

Robert Righter

Nov 12, 2020, 1:34:31 PM11/12/20
to cobirds
Hi

I only met Roger a few times but I’m impressed on how much he meant to other people, he had to be a remarkable person. As was suggested a donation was made to the Community Foundation of Boulder in honor of Roger.

Bob Righter
Denver CO

Diana Beatty

Nov 12, 2020, 8:30:35 PM11/12/20
to cinnamon...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds, Duane Nelson
Got a thread going in the 14ers.com Facebook group about Roger Linfield.  One of the members posted this link with Roger's impressive U.S. climbing stats, and also noted that Roger is the person who placed the climbing registers on a number of the state's 13ers.  Some also noted his generosity in putting together and donating a significant amount toward the bill for trips to access the peaks on Cielo Vista ranch.  I don't think I ever met him, but it sure sounds like I missed out onknowing someone special.

--

******

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.