BRONZED COWBIRD photographed in Lamar by Jill White Smith

104 προβολές
Παράβλεψη και μετάβαση στο πρώτο μη αναγνωσμένο μήνυμα

SeEttaM .

μη αναγνωσμένη,
9 Απρ 2017, 11:38:52 μ.μ.9/4/17
ως cob...@googlegroups.com
FYI, Lamar birder Jill White Smith photographed a BRONZED COWBIRD in her backyard on April 6.  She noted the red eyes were unusual and sought help on What's This Bird facebook page who identified the species.  She has posted a couple of photos of the bird on the ABA Rare Bird Alert facebook site. Have we had BRONZED COWBIRDS sighted in Colorado before?

SeEtta Moss
Canon City

Brandon

μη αναγνωσμένη,
9 Απρ 2017, 11:47:18 μ.μ.9/4/17
ως see...@gmail.com, cob...@googlegroups.com
There is for sure one accepted record from the Colorado Birds Records
Committee of Bronzed Cowbird. It was in a yard in Lakewood (if I
remember correctly) in 1990 in May, and stayed a few months. Some of
us around back then, didn't see that one though (like me). I'm not
sure if there is another documented record for Colorado or not. I
think there was one reportedly seen in Baca County in 2013, though not
sure it was documented for the CBRC or not. Those are only two I've
ever heard of from Colorado, unless this one.

Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO

SeEttaM .

μη αναγνωσμένη,
9 Απρ 2017, 11:59:17 μ.μ.9/4/17
ως Brandon, cob...@googlegroups.com
I checked with Jill and since she wasn't aware until today that this was a big rarity she hasn't paid notice to all the blackbirds in her yard but she will start watching for it.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City

On 4/9/17, SeEttaM . <see...@gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI, Lamar birder Jill White Smith photographed a BRONZED COWBIRD in her
> backyard on April 6.  She noted the red eyes were unusual and sought help
> on What's This Bird facebook page who identified the species.  She has
> posted a couple of photos of the bird on the ABA Rare Bird Alert facebook
> site. Have we had BRONZED COWBIRDS sighted in Colorado before?
>
> SeEtta Moss
> Canon City

Bill Maynard

μη αναγνωσμένη,
10 Απρ 2017, 12:01:45 π.μ.10/4/17
ως flamm...@gmail.com, see...@gmail.com, cob...@googlegroups.com
Here is the eBird information for the 2nd CO Bronzed Cowbird sighting.
Wed May 08, 2013 - 9:00 AM - 105 Monroe St. Pritchett, CO, by Jim Dennis

Bronzed Cowbird
Observed for about 20 minutes at a distance of approx. 30 feet (and photographed). Bird showed no hint of brown head or hood, bill was larger and appeared more massive than brown-headed, head and bill shape was straighter and not rounded, color was shiny or iridescent black and most striking were the blood red eyes (visible in the photographs).

Bill Maynard
Colorado Springs
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CA%2BXeEuUrpBSgka6e2JJSSz8eL7SmzwtsyhBoxqo8b-AS2J%2BF7A%40mail.gmail.com.

Steve Stachowiak

μη αναγνωσμένη,
10 Απρ 2017, 12:52:44 π.μ.10/4/17
ως Colorado Birds
Cobirders,

The 1990 Bronzed Cowbird was seen at the Carter's yard in Lakewood and documented with the CBRC.   The following year in May 1991 a Bronzed Cowbird appeared again in their backyard.  I do not remember how long the bird stayed the second time but I saw it on May 12th.  I recall the assumption at the time was that it was the same bird that had visited the year before but who knows?  There are no accepted records for the second appearance (assuming that it was not written up by anyone).  There is only reference to it being reported on the Rare Bird Alert Tape in May in the Lark Bunting.

Good Birding,

Steve Stachowiak
Highlands Ranch, CO

DAVID A LEATHERMAN

μη αναγνωσμένη,
10 Απρ 2017, 2:32:25 π.μ.10/4/17
ως waxw...@q.com, COBIRDS

I was fortunate enough to see that first Bronzed Cowbird in the Carters' yard on 16June 1990.

The second report (not counting the reappearance of the Carters' bird in 1991) was, I believe, from Pritchett w of Springfield by Jim Dennis, who worked for the CO Division of Wildlife in Fort Collins, and who had a summer place down near the Pinyon Canyon Manuever Site in Las Animas County.  I believe Jim, who was an avid birder and long retired from DOW (aka DPW), is now living in Maryland.

As an aside, when the ABA Convention was in Fort Collins in 2000, Jim was walking around the hotel lobby with a bird in a ziplock bag he had just been given by a homeowner in Loveland: a YELLOW RAIL!  Nobody can figure out what ever happened to the specimen and apparently there was no documentation of that very important record, either.

Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins