All CNAT Lite images functionally identical?

chris....@gmail.com

May 28, 2021, 10:22:39 PM5/28/21
to ClusterHAT
Hi All,

I've suffered a catastrophic failure with my controller's SD card, and am in the midst of rebuilding it.

Rather than merely restore from backup and partly for learning,  I've taken it upon myself to re-configure the cluster and all nodes as desired from base image via Ansible. This includes SSH configuration, wireless networks, Docker, mpiexec configuration, etc.

Rather than download (and re-download, in the future) all five individual CNAT images, is it possible to flash only a single node image to each Pi Zero, with it customized per Pi by appending" quiet init=/sbin/reconfig-clusterctrl TYPE" to each cmdline.txt file? In other words, are all the node images functionally the same?

Thanks Chris, for the wonderful genius placed in your beautiful products- I use them on a regular basis in all aspects of my work.

-Chris

Tim Wood

May 29, 2021, 4:22:58 AM5/29/21
to clust...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

Indeed, all pX images are the same with just the cmdline.txt altered. Here's part of a reply Chris B. gave on a different thread (assumes first four images are being used without editing):

For the rest of the Pi Zeros write any pX image to the SD and then edit cmdline.txt file in the boot partition before their first boot and change pX to p5-p16 as appropriate (you need to do this to prevent duplicated MAC addresses).

Tim

Chris Burton

May 29, 2021, 4:26:20 AM5/29/21
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
Rather than download (and re-download, in the future) all five individual CNAT images, is it possible to flash only a single node image to each Pi Zero, with it customized per Pi by appending" quiet init=/sbin/reconfig-clusterctrl TYPE" to each cmdline.txt file? In other words, are all the node images functionally the same?

Yes, the CNAT/pX images are the CBRIDGE image with the command line altered so that shouldn't be a problem but you'll probably want to regenerate the host keys for SSH if you're copying the image of a system that's been booted previously (see https://wiki.debian.org/SSH ).

Chris.

chris....@gmail.com

May 29, 2021, 10:03:36 PM5/29/21
to ClusterHAT