The Future of WebFaction

Gary Ferland

Oct 15, 2020, 5:01:15 PM10/15/20
to cloudy-dev
Greetings,

WebFaction, our current svn and wiki server, will go dark starting next month.   The main announcement is here.  Accounts will be transferred to a company that operates in GB & France starting next month and continuing through the first half of 2021.  A FAQ on the changes is here.  The FAQ mentions SVN and it says they will install an image of the WebFaction site on the new servers.  The new pricing plan is slightly opaque.

I do have some thoughts on the future of nublado and svn but want to start this thread out with a focus on WebFaction.

thanks,
Gary

Gary J. Ferland

Oct 15, 2020, 5:05:05 PM10/15/20
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
this is the body of the email they sent me about the changes.

Dear WebFaction customer,

We are writing to let you know about updates to the WebFaction migration plan. We expect the migration of WebFaction customers to tsoHost to be complete by the end of June 2021.

Please note, TsoHost and WebFaction are a part of Paragon Internet Group Limited. TsoHost is a UK provider of hosting, domains, email, VPS and dedicated servers. Both WebFaction and tsoHost are part of the GoDaddy group.

How will the migration happen?

    We have planned the migration to roll out in two parts, which will happen together, beginning in November 2020 and continuing until end of June 2021. As you migrate to tsoHost, here is what to expect:

        1. Customer accounts - Customer profile (name and contact details) information from WebFaction will be used to create your account on tsoHost.

        2. Websites & email - Your websites and email will migrate from WebFaction to tsoHost.

    As a new tsoHost customer, all your hosting, billing, and support will now come through tsoHost. Once your new account is created you will need to login to tsoHost and add payment details for service continuation.

    We will update you with a 30-day advance notice to let you know what changes are coming and when to expect them. Until then, please continue to access your account as normal.

What do I have to do?

    Very little. We plan to handle the migration for you, but please note some accounts will be unable to migrate. If we are unable to migrate your account, you will receive a separate communication with further details.

    Before work begins, we'll email you the latest information and include details on the steps and processes involved.

When will changes start to take place?

    Further purchases through WebFaction will be unavailable after 14 October 2020.

    Migrations will start in November 2020 and continue until the end of June 2021.

What are my options?

    If do not want to move to tsoHost please contact the customer service team before October 31st to opt-out of migration.

    Opted out sites will be cancelled on December 9th 2020.

When will the platform close?

    The WebFaction platform and any sites that were not migratable will be closed near the end of March 2021. Any websites not migrated will have unused fees automatically refunded to the account holder within 45 days of product closure. Please contact WebFaction support if any issues arise.

Where can I find out more information?

    We will update https://www.webfaction.com/ website with additional information, timelines and migration process overview during the coming weeks, please check for the latest updates.

Regards,

The WebFaction Team
--
WebFaction - Smarter web hosting
http://webfaction.com

http://groups.google.com/group/cloudy-dev

Gary J. Ferland
Physics, Univ of Kentucky
Lexington KY 40506 USA
Tel: 859 257-8795
https://pa.as.uky.edu/users/gary

Gary J. Ferland

Oct 15, 2020, 8:53:17 PM10/15/20
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Not directly related to WebFaction, but definitely related to the future of subversion; I did a search several weeks ago for "free" svn hosting sites.  The results mostly pointed to a single site that was not accepting new clients and had the announcement that they would go dark in a few months.  I think it is true that if we want free, low maintenance, repository hosting we are looking at one of the git sites.  This must reflect the dominance of git.  Subversion does not seem to play in that space.

My employer will not entertain hosting any site exposed to the universe - although a couple of my sites from years ago have been grandfathered into place.  Nearly all machines and sites at U KY are locked behind a VPN which is only available to employees.

Gary

Gary Ferland

Oct 16, 2020, 12:03:44 PM10/16/20
to cloudy-dev
further update from WebFaction - they cannot migrate subversion.  We go dark on Dec 9:

CAUTION: External Sender

Dear WebFaction customer,

Earlier this week, we informed you that WebFaction will migrate to tsoHost
and that we plan to begin customer migrations in November 2020.

Unfortunately, incompatible features of your current hosting service prevent
us from migrating your website to tsoHost. A full list of incompatible
features can be found in our FAQ: webfaction.com/faq

We regret the difficult situation, caused by this incompatibility:

App Name: App Type

svn_atomic_data: Subversion
svn_bauman: Subversion
svn_cloudy: Subversion
svn_cloudy_mirror: Subversion
svn_openserverport: Custom app (listening on port)
svn_papers: Subversion

Your hosting with WebFaction will expire on 9 December 2020. We encourage you
to explore alternatives before this date. Your options are:

    Take no action - If you choose to do nothing, your website will function
      normally until 9 December 2020. After that date, all services including
      website hosting and email will shut down.

    Move to another host - Other hosts offer features (e.g. Postgres,
      Django) that are incompatible with tsoHost.

        These hosts include but are not limited to Opalstack (opalstack.com),
        DigitalOcean (digitalocean.com), Heroku (heroku.com), and
        PythonAnywhere (pythonanywhere.com). This is provided for information
        only and we don't recommend any particular host.

Regardless of what you do,  it's important to save your website to a local
drive before 9 December 2020. This will give you time to evaluate your
options and ensure website continuity.

Any refund for unused fees will be automatically processed within 45 days of
the 9 December 2020 termination date. If you experience any issues, please
open a service ticket: help.webfaction.com

Regards,

The WebFaction Team
--
WebFaction - Smarter web hosting
http://webfaction.com
http://twitter.com/webfaction
http://facebook.com/webfaction

Robin Williams

Oct 16, 2020, 12:47:44 PM10/16/20
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
I think SourceForge still provides open source Subversion hosting (for free), so that might be a place to go for the main code repository at least in the short term.

https://software.ac.uk/choosing-repository-your-software-project may be a bit out of date.  Certainly BitBucket are ceasing to support Hg.  GitHub's svn support is by exposing a view of an underlying Git repository made to look like a Subversion repository to the client, I'm not sure how well this would work in practice.

Trac looks to be more of a problem -- https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/CommercialServices seems to tell a sad tale...

  Robin

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "cloudy-dev" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cloudy-dev/09b6235e-48f4-4739-9bb7-dd6988a06779n%40googlegroups.com.

Peter van Hoof

Oct 16, 2020, 12:56:29 PM10/16/20
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Indeed does not look like tsoHost supports subversion, git, or trac as a 1-click
application. It may be possible to set them up as custom applications though
(your subversion setup on webfaction is a custom setup of an svnserve 1.9.4
server), so you would need to check that. But remember that memory restrictions
are also tight with tsoHost.

What surprises me though is that all tsoHost plans offer infinite bandwidth.
That sounds too good to be true...

https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting/compare

If that doesn't work out, my advise would be to search for a hoster that
supports subversion out of the box. But they may be difficult to find. Cost
should not be a concern. Compared to what you spend on PhD students and
postdocs, or even hardware, that should be peanuts...

It is true that pretty much all new projects choose git, but the philosophy
behind it is very different from subversion. So expect disruption on your end if
you plan to go down that route. This starts with simple references to revisions
in bug reports that would no longer have any meaning, test suite scripts that
will no longer work, etc. It is all more or less fixable of course, but you have
to consider whether that is where you want to spend your efforts. Subversion
continues to be supported by Apache and is good enough for Cloudy.

Peter.

--
Peter van Hoof
Royal Observatory of Belgium