Question

Muhammad Imran

Sep 22, 2021, 12:23:39 AM9/22/21
to clou...@googlegroups.com
Hello CloudSim experts,

I am working on VM migration paper. But I have a question , Why we still need VM migration whereas we have Containers and Container Migration.

I want  to include strong reasons in my paper . Kindly guide me in this regard and give me answers with references if possible.

Thanks

--

Muhammad Imran (Ph.D. Student)
Broadband Convergence Networks Lab.

Email: royim...@gmail.com

Mobile: +82-010-9960-4539

Samaneh Sadegh

Sep 22, 2021, 2:51:59 AM9/22/21
to clou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Imran,
In a cloud scenarios, containers are running inside the VMs as it is not secure to run containers of different customers in a common OS.
VM migrations usually is done for some maintenance or load balancing reasons without costumers service being interrupted.
So I can say, VM migration and Container migration have two different reasons.

Regards,

Sent from my iPhone

Muhammad Imran

Sep 22, 2021, 4:16:51 AM9/22/21
to clou...@googlegroups.com
Samaneh , very thanks for answering

Means , if containers are running inside VMs then , VMs can be migrated and Containers can also be migrated.
One thing i have read that VMs can run bulky load application like “Hadoop” but containers connot.
As a result, VMs migration is not out dated topic.

Vaneet Garg

Sep 22, 2021, 6:45:05 AM9/22/21
to clou...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
container is a highly abstract concept and VM migration is at the lower level of containers , so if you optimize VM migration then definitely it would be used by researchers in efficiency of containers.
you can refer to my paper on overload detection and please cite in your publication.

VANEET KUMAR
A.P. CSE
QIF-GOI
Jhanjeri,
Mohali

Anupinder Singh

Sep 23, 2021, 6:51:07 AM9/23/21
to cloudsim
Dear,

we know the containers are the new tech used to isolate the app and its runtime from the underlying infrastructure, but this is majorly used by the developers and SAAS-based companies. This is suitable for the software which is directly developed using the latest technologies.

whereas still there is a major market share comprised of legacy software/tech and converting them to the container environment involves huge effort and cost. So companies are making good enough changes to the software to move them to the public cloud and join the current trend of offloading the infrastructure to public service providers. So the best, easy, and quick solutions are to host this software through Virtual machines which basically imitates the physical server but on the internet.

Also, to increase the efficiency of current private infrastructure companies are turning towards virtualizing their in-house infrastructure and again the VMs are the best solutions to move existing applications with minimal changes to their base code. This is usually done to control the ongoing operational cost.

I hope this will get you some perspective to research more in literature to get the evidence for your work.

Regards

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 9:53 AM Muhammad Imran <royim...@gmail.com> wrote:

Muhammad Imran

Sep 23, 2021, 6:53:27 AM9/23/21