TypeError: e is null

Sophie Vos

Jun 22, 2021, 11:02:11 AM6/22/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi everyone,

I am a master's student Computer Science and am currently writing my thesis about energy efficiency in the public cloud. I would like to run an experiment using the CCF tool, but I did not manage to couple it to my AWS account.

Running the code with mocked data works for me. And running yarn start does not give an error in the terminal but provides the ambiguous error "TypeError: e is null" on the local host. Attached are some screenshots.

Thank you for the tool and hopefully someone has some experience with this error because I am a bit stuck... :)

Best,
Sophie
terminal.png
Screenshot from 2021-06-22 15-35-12.png

Sophie Vos

Jun 22, 2021, 11:06:34 AM6/22/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
could it be because some data is missing in my billing table?

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Jun 22, 2021, 12:00:25 PM6/22/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Sophie,

Thanks for messaging about this!

Just to confirm, you are seeing this data when you attempt to run with your AWS account information entered in the .env file in the api package? And running `yarn start` from the root?

Which browser are you attempting this with?

Could you please also confirm that you are entering the following variables?:
AWS_ATHENA_DB_NAME
AWS_ATHENA_DB_TABLE
AWS_ATHENA_REGION
AWS_ATHENA_QUERY_RESULT_LOCATION
AWS_BILLING_ACCOUNT_ID
AWS_BILLING_ACCOUNT_NAME
AWS_USE_BILLING_DATA=true
AWS_AUTH_MODE=default

Thanks,
Cam

Sophie Vos

Jun 23, 2021, 4:44:04 AM6/23/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Thanks for replying.

Yes, whenever I run yarn start-with-mock-data everything works.
I followed the steps on https://www.cloudcarbonfootprint.org/docs/aws to connect CCF to my AWS account.
Indeed I altered the variables in the packages/api/.env file and ran yarn start afterward.

The browser I use is Firefox but I do not think that is the issue as the mocked data works in Firefox.
Moreover, CCF links correctly to Athena as I received an error message earlier that the column product_vcpu was not present in my database.
After I added this column manually in Athena this error went away and I received the error that I forwarded in my question.

So I do think my billing/usage data is in the wrong format somehow but unsure how I can solve this.
In my AWS account, I only have S3 instances and no compute instances so maybe that could cause a problem?
And I have quite some empty columns in the billing table.

Thanks a lot.

Best,
Sophie

Wojtek Kubiak

Oct 30, 2021, 4:33:57 AM10/30/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
I have similar issue and waiting for response.

Athena DB was created using default CF stack createdy by AWS in my S3 output bucket
Data are present in S3 and Athena can browse them without problem

When trying to launch an application I got: "Column 'product_vcpu' cannot be resolved."

BR
/Wojtek

Arelys Alvarez

Nov 5, 2021, 1:40:21 PM11/5/21
to Wojtek Kubiak, sophie.o...@gmail.com, Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Wojtek,

Thank you so much for reaching out and bringing this issue to our attention. We were in conversations with Sophie and I think she was able to solve the issue herself, maybe she could help you with this.

@sophie.o...@gmail.com could you please provide instructions on how to manually add that column to the database?

Thank you,
Arelys

środa, 23 czerwca 2021 o 10:44:04 UTC+2 sophie.o...@gmail.com napisał(a):
Thanks for replying.

Yes, whenever I run yarn start-with-mock-data everything works.
I followed the steps on https://www.cloudcarbonfootprint.org/docs/aws to connect CCF to my AWS account.
Indeed I altered the variables in the packages/api/.env file and ran yarn start afterward.

The browser I use is Firefox but I do not think that is the issue as the mocked data works in Firefox.
Moreover, CCF links correctly to Athena as I received an error message earlier that the columnproduct_vcpu was not present in my database.

Wojtek Kubiak

Nov 6, 2021, 2:43:18 AM11/6/21
to Arelys Alvarez, sophie.o...@gmail.com, Cloud Carbon Footprint
hi
I managed to solve it.
The best option was to launch small ec2 just before starting the CUR. Than AWS produce correct CloudFormation stack and column vcpu exists.

BR
Wojtek