Is it possible to use Cloud Carbon footprint just to see the footprint during 1h of cloud software use instead of a year of cloud software use?

Nicolas Tyndal

Oct 18, 2021, 6:34:13 AM10/18/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hello ,
Im currently looking for a way to use this software in a lower time frame ( 1min to 10 hour)
Do you think it is possible?

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Oct 18, 2021, 12:52:34 PM10/18/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hello!

We currently do not have the application configured to handle timeframes more granular than a day at a time. Perhaps you could give more information as to why that level of detail might be worth adding for your use case and we could consider implementing a solution.

Thanks,

Nicolas Tyndal

Oct 19, 2021, 4:03:00 AM10/19/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Thanks for your answer.
I am currently working on a projet where we want to optimize the code of a webapplication with a server hosted in the cloud in order to reduce the server's footprint or the server's Kwh used during the use of the app.
In order to do so, we need an application which is able to give us the footprint or the energy consumption of the server's webapp after we've played out a use case.

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Oct 19, 2021, 2:21:32 PM10/19/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Thanks for the context! So it seems like the timestamp data we are grabbing from the cloud providers is able to return more granularity than a day at a time (hours, minutes, seconds), we have just not implemented our application to handle that but it would be possible. Would you have any interest in creating an issue on our github or  looking into implementing a solution for this?

Nicolas Tyndal

Nov 22, 2021, 8:12:55 AM11/22/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint, sebastie...@alten.com
Hello ,
Before looking into a lower time frame implementation  , I would like to know if it makes sense to lower the time frame for all of the providers.
Especially for Azure, because according to your methodology , for the azure provider you only use " Billing Data for Cloud Usage (Holistic)" in order to build your footprint.
Knowing this, do you think that it is possible to reduce the timeframe for azure ?
I also would like to know :
How often does azure actualize its billing datas?
Which specific billing data do you use in your calculations?
Can you give me an example of the billing file azure  gives you?

Kind regards,
TYNDAL Nicolas

Cloud Carbon Footprint

Nov 23, 2021, 1:01:42 PM11/23/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hello,

We are currently spiking to gather data from Azure in a different way than calling the consumption management API. Currently, using this method, we do not believe it is possible to retrieve data more granular than daily unless you parse the timestamp after receiving the data and sort by hours, minutes, etc.

I believe azure actualizes billing data daily as well but I can do more research to dig deeper on this. Here is more detail on the specific API and documentation about the response:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/consumption/

Here is the sample object of data we capture from Azure for our calculations:

{
      date: new Date('2020-11-02'),
      quantity: 17,
      cost: 5,