Linux/UNIX

Gosia Gawedzka

Aug 13, 2021, 6:58:43 AM8/13/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
 Hi,
I would like to know how to categorize Linux/UNIX hours in AWS?
Is it compute? I don't see this type of usage in your documentation.

Kind regards,
Gosia

Dan Lewis-Toakley

Aug 13, 2021, 9:50:12 AM8/13/21
to Gosia Gawedzka, Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Gosia,

Would you be able to share some example rows from your Cost and Usage Report that correspond with this? These fields should suffice: line_item_product_code, line_item_usage_type, pricing_unit

This will help us get a better sense of this Linux/Unix usage to help categorize it.

Best,
Dan

Dan Lewis-Toakley
Green Cloud Lead, North America
Pronouns He/Him
Email dan.lewi...@thoughtworks.com
Telephone +19172545068
ThoughtWorks

Gosia Gawedzka

Aug 13, 2021, 9:59:54 AM8/13/21
to Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Dan

Here is the example of Linux  and UNIX data:

$0.05 per On Demand Linux t2.medium Instance Hour

USD 0.0 hourly fee per Linux/UNIX (Amazon VPC)

t3.2xlarge Linux/UNIX Spot Instance-hour in EU

Please let me know what category it is, and whether you count these into the total emissions.

Kind regards,
Gosia

Dan Lewis-Toakley

Aug 16, 2021, 1:21:52 PM8/16/21
to Gosia Gawedzka, Cloud Carbon Footprint
Hi Gosia,

Both the t2.medium and t3.2xlarge instances are included in the carbon estimations - they are compute usage type, and they are referenced in packages/aws/src/lib/AWSInstanceTypes.ts. Hope that answers your question :)

This raises a broader question about whether our emissions estimates API should also return the usage type(s) used in the estimation formula (compute, storage, networking or memory)... Would love to hear from the community if that would be valuable, and if so, we could maybe create an issue to discuss it on Github!

Best,
Dan