some good poetic news

Stein, Howard F. (HSC)

Jan 30, 2018, 5:06:58 PM1/30/18
to clios...@googlegroups.com, Stein, Howard F. (HSC)

Dear Clio's Psyche Friends,

Good afternoon from Oklahoma. I am writing to let you know the double good news that I have been appointed Frequent Contributer to the on-line poetry journal Songs of Eretz Poetry Review, and that I am the Poet of the Week for this week.

I have already had poems published on Monday and Tuesday, and will have new poems published daily through Friday or Saturday. If you are interested, you can visit the website not only for my poems, but for other Frequent Contributors and individual contributers every day. http://www.songsoferetz.com/ Thank you for your consideration.

Howard Stein

Author of Light and Shadow (poetry): https://doodleandpeck.com/adult

Listening Deeply (Second Edition): https://www.amazon.com/Howard-F.-Stein/e/B001HCZ62C/ref=ntt_dp_epwpk_0

The Dysfunctional Workplace (with Seth Allcorn): same url as above, amazon.com

Howard F. Stein, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus

Department of Family and Preventive Medicine

Oklahoma City, OK  USA;

howard...@ouhsc.edu

Phone: 405-787-6074

Poet Laureate, High Plains Society for Applied Anthropology

Home address: 1408 Oakhill Lane, Oklahoma City OK 73127 USA

Brian D'Agostino

Jan 30, 2018, 5:29:58 PM1/30/18
to Clio's Psyche Forum, Stein, Howard F. (HSC)
Congratulations, Howard! --Brian

--
<><><>

Burton N. Seitler

Jan 30, 2018, 7:40:12 PM1/30/18
to clios...@googlegroups.com, Stein, Howard F. (HSC)
Hi,

People often wonder why bad things happen to good people,
for which there doesn't seem to be any adequate answer. But,
in this instance, we can point to something good that happened
to a good person. So-to further emphasize the  point, it couldn't
happen to a nicer person. CONGRATULATIONS HOWARD!

Warmly,

Burton, N. Seitler

Dr Judith Logue

Jan 31, 2018, 8:17:01 AM1/31/18
to clios...@googlegroups.com, Stein, Howard F. (HSC)
Yes, but did they say Happy Birthday too?
Judy
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cliospsyche...@googlegroups.com.

Alan Mohl

Feb 7, 2018, 5:39:37 PM2/7/18
to clios...@googlegroups.com, Howard...@ouhsc.edu
Congratulations!
Allan

[...]

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Brian D'Agostino

Feb 15, 2021, 10:21:02 AM2/15/21
to clios...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

The best summary I've seen about the significance of Trump's impeachment trial and what's next in the United States is an article in today's CNN by Stephen Collinson:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/15/politics/donald-trump-president-joe-biden-coronavirus-congress-stimulus/index.html  The only question I would add to this excellent article is whether there was a connection between the Democrat's flip-flop on Saturday over calling witnesses and Mitch McConnell's forceful denunciation of Trump in his speech after the senators voted.  One scenario I can imagine is that Republicans had more to lose by prolonging the trial and calling witnesses, so McConnell made a back room deal with the Democrats that he would vigorously uphold the impeachment managers' devastating assessment of Trump's role in the insurrection in exchange for them dropping the plan to call witnesses.

The alternative explanation for the managers' dropping of the plan to call witnesses is that Biden wanted to move forward with his agenda, and the Senate Democrats in agreement shut down lead impeachment manager Jamie Raskin, who apparently wanted to call witnesses.  I don't see any easy solution to the dilemma about whether it would have been better to call witnesses.  In any case, as Collinson explains, it seems that Trump's dominance of the Republican Party is not likely to continue at its current level and he is not likely to be a viable national candidate in 2024.  Trumpism has suffered a serious political blow, though the fascist elements of the Republican party will continue to pose a paramilitary threat to the country for the foreseeable future.

Brian

bdagostino.com

Peter Petschauer

Feb 15, 2021, 2:26:02 PM2/15/21
to clios...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Brian.
Enjoy the rest of the week.

Peter

Peter Petschauer, Ph.D., Dr. h.c.
Professor Emeritus, Appalachian State University
Author and poet
“An Immigrant in the 1960s; Becoming an American in New York City” (2020) at peterpetschauer.com.
The 2019 book of recent poems, “Hopes and Fears. Past and Present” is at the same site.
Also available are “In the Face of Evil. The Sustenance of Tradition,” about my four German “mothers,” and the novel, "A Perfect Portrait. A Woman Artist in Eighteenth-Century Weimar." Other books may also be purchased at this site or directly through amazon.com.

On Feb 15, 2021, at 10:21, Brian D'Agostino <bdagost...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
<><><>

Brian D'Agostino

Apr 3, 2021, 1:48:59 PM4/3/21
to clios...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

I find it interesting that we are having a public reckoning simultaneously in two high-profile cases--one involving a brutal torture/murder and the other an apparent pattern of sexual predation--which have in common that the abusive conduct was enabled by Trump and Trumpism.  I am struck by the nonchalant way that Chauvin murdered George Floyd, even as he knew his actions were being recorded on people's cell phones.  Like the January 6th insurrectionists, it seems he felt invincible.  Trump had explicitly promoted police brutality, saying that police when they make arrests should not be "too nice" and should not be afraid to rough up suspects.  Chauvin did exactly that, though of course taking it to the extreme of actually torturing and murdering someone.  This is like a throwback to the days of public lynchings in the South, when it was legitimate to do such things and no perpetrator would be held accountable for such violence.  The courageous young woman who captured the George Floyd torture/murder on her cell phone and then put in onto the internet changed all that.

Similarly, I am struck by the brazenness of Matt Gaetz showing nude pictures of his sexual conquests to colleagues on the floor of the US House of Representatives.  Even at the time, this was so extreme that many of his Republican colleagues saw a scandal waiting to happen.  But Gaetz was no doubt emboldened by Trump and Trumpism to act in this way and not worry about ever being held accountable.  He apparently even paid women for sex using a cash app, another indication of his feeling of being beyond the reach of accountability, since anyone leaving such an electronic trail would be aware of their legal vulnerability under more normal circumstances.  Now that Trump is out of power, however, it appears that public norms are changing rapidly.  Let's hope this continues for long enough that serious policy reform can be enacted

Brian D'Agostino

bdagostino.com

Carol jaxson-jager

Apr 3, 2021, 4:25:29 PM4/3/21
to clios...@googlegroups.com
Brian,
You have presented two examples of white privilege, in American.  Chauvin and Gaetz have been led to believe that they can do anything to anybody without impunity. They both are arrogant and crude, and should not be allowed to maintain their positions of public trust.  Tax payers money should not  continue to fund criminal behaviors.  Injustice cannot thrive when right-minded people step up, and speak out.  The silent majority should stop being silent.

Carol M Jaxson-Jager

--
<><><>

Brian D'Agostino

Apr 3, 2021, 8:09:13 PM4/3/21
to clios...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

We as a psychohistory community obviously have a lot to talk about at the present time.  The leadership team of the International Psychohistorical Association has begun to hold open-ended, informal discussions on the first Monday of every month at 9:00 AM Eastern Standard Time.  If you are receiving this email, are free this Monday at 9:00 EST, and would like to chat with colleagues about whatever is on your mind, please join us.  Carol Jaxon-Jager has attended these discussions in the past, so this may be your big chance to meet her "in person" if you don't already know Carol from IPA conferences.  IPA International Vice President Marc-Andre Cotton is expecting to be with us this Monday, and I will be hosting the meeting.  If you want to participate by computer, phone or smart phone, refer to the GoToMeeting invitation below for your preferred method of connecting.

Until then,

Brian

bdagostino.com

https://www.gotomeet.me/BrianDAgostino

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (646) 749-3122

Access Code: 116-183-829

New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts: https://global.gotomeeting.com/install/116183829

Brigitte DEMEURE

Apr 5, 2021, 4:56:33 PM4/5/21
to clios...@googlegroups.com

Hi Brian,

This the name of the institution which I had forgotten  :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebensborn

During the meeting of the GPPP in Göttingen about children of the children of war was one of those children, testifying what he had to go through.

Thanks for organizing those meetings

Best

Brigitte

envoyé : 4 avril 2021 à 02:09
de : Brian D'Agostino <bdagost...@gmail.com>
à : clios...@googlegroups.com
objet : [cliospsyche] informal GoToMeeting chat Monday 9:00 AM EST

Brian D'Agostino

Apr 5, 2021, 5:09:47 PM4/5/21
to Clio's Psyche Forum
Hi, Brigitte,

Thank you for this. It was good that you could attend and I appreciate your contributions to the discussion.

Warm regards,

Brian

Brigitte DEMEURE

Apr 5, 2021, 5:21:02 PM4/5/21