targeted or untargeted

ephi...@yahoo.com

Dec 18, 2018, 2:47:52 PM12/18/18
to cleverhans dev
For FGSM, how would the resulting adversarial examples be different if I changed the attack from untargeted to targeted? I'm not sure I understand how a targeted attack works. Please advise. Thanks. AT

Ian Goodfellow

Dec 18, 2018, 3:13:57 PM12/18/18
to ephi...@yahoo.com, cleverhans dev
Suppose you have a photo of a cat.
An untargeted attack has the goal of changing the photo to no longer be labeled as a cat. The attack succeeds if it can change the output of the model to 'dog', 'car', etc.
A targeted attack has the goal of causing the model to output a specific target class. Suppose the target is 'car'. If the attack causes the photo of the cat to be labeled 'dog', it is not considered a success for the attacker. It is only a success if the output class becomes 'car'.
FGSM does only one gradient step, so it is usually not flexible / powerful enough to succeed as a targeted attack.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 11:47 AM 'ephi...@yahoo.com' via cleverhans dev <cleverh...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
For FGSM, how would the resulting adversarial examples be different if I changed the attack from untargeted to targeted? I'm not sure I understand how a targeted attack works. Please advise. Thanks. AT

Message has been deleted

ephi...@yahoo.com