Playlist Feature request. Select collection based on specific path/subdirectory

Poldi

Mar 9, 2020, 2:33:40 AM3/9/20
to Clementine Music Player
We have two collections; my partners music & my music

I have created  the directory structure accordingly

/home/ourmusic/his
/home/ourmusic/hers

Ideally we'd like three playlistists:
his
hers
both

There doesn't seem to be a selection criteria for filepath that allows me to do this.
Thanks,
Leo

Garthhh

Mar 11, 2020, 2:20:29 PM3/11/20
to Clementine Music Player
Add a tag for each collection, as a grouping or comment
You will be able to use the tag as a filter to build smart playlists

Poldi

Mar 12, 2020, 3:10:27 AM3/12/20
to Clementine Music Player
Just went through all the options and can't figure out how to do this

Garthhh

Mar 13, 2020, 1:45:30 PM3/13/20
to Clementine Music Player
On the left sidebar click files>
Navigate to your preferred collection>
contrl+a [select all]>
right click=Open in new playlist>
control+A>
Right click=Edit track information>
Add tag
Switch left sidebar back to library
Right click smart playlist>
New smart playlist>
set up filter

Poldi

Mar 13, 2020, 9:16:29 PM3/13/20
to Clementine Music Player
Thanks.
Going via the files doesn't even need a tag
Clicking on /home/ourmusic/his and selecting 'Open in new playlist' creates a new playlist with songs only from this folder(s)

This solves the first issue as I can now create different playlists for different folders

What I can't do via this approach is a Dynamic Random Mix for these (specific) playlists. I know I can randomize the playlist, but am not sure if the randomization algorithm is the same plus I have folders with hundreds of CDs
Thanks

Garthhh

Mar 14, 2020, 11:39:42 PM3/14/20
to Clementine Music Player
As you build a smart playlist, you can build in the dynamic random part if you wish

Poldi

Mar 17, 2020, 6:21:42 PM3/17/20
to Clementine Music Player
I'm missing something here.
I cannot create a smart playlist without songs in the library
I cannot keep the folders separated when I add them into the Library
I cannot find a way to create a smart playlist based on files

Thanks

Peter Tipping

Mar 17, 2020, 6:52:44 PM3/17/20
to clementi...@googlegroups.com
  1. Clementine uses a library database.  With nothing in the database, you obviously can't create a smart playlist, which only references the database.
  2. You can add multiple folders to the library, but the music found is all added to a single library.
  3. Clementine doesn't have a concept of files or folders.  It has music in a library.  If you would like to reference the music to a specific folder, as Garthhh has already indicated, you will need to add a tag to each song to indicate which folder it belongs to.  That sounds like you didn't do this step.  It sounds like you loaded a folder from your OS into Clementine as a playlist.  For each of these playlists, you will need to add a tag to each song that can then be referenced in a smart playlist.
Peter

Peter Tipping

Mar 18, 2020, 7:21:08 PM3/18/20
to clementi...@googlegroups.com
An alternative is to use "File name" and "contains" as your smart playlist criteria, which includes the path.

This is probably the easiest option as it requires no extra work to be done from your perspective.

Peter.