Anybody Home?

Lee In Mpls, MN

Sep 23, 2019, 6:15:17 PM9/23/19
to ClayCraft
Wondering if this still works!

Lee in Mpls.

Irene A. Wytzka Lawson

Sep 23, 2019, 6:57:58 PM9/23/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Was surprised to see this...didn't go to junk, came right to my email.  How are you?  I'm working hard to get ready for holiday shows, leaving for a three week adventure in Morocco with Denys James in less than two weeks!!!

Irene

Sep 23, 2019, 10:23:00 PM9/23/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
I hear you!

--
Claycraft on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/claycraft/
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Rick Mahaffey

Sep 23, 2019, 11:21:38 PM9/23/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Lee,
It seems it works here in Washington State.

Rick In Tacoma

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 23, 2019, at 3:15 PM, Lee In Mpls, MN <tog...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wondering if this still works!

Lee in Mpls.

Lee Love

Sep 24, 2019, 1:34:18 AM9/24/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com

Lee Love

Sep 24, 2019, 1:34:59 AM9/24/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Eric and Rick,

How is it going?

Lee

jodaunger

Sep 24, 2019, 8:05:33 AM9/24/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com

Arnold Howard

Sep 24, 2019, 11:56:38 AM9/24/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
I received the Claycraft thread too.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Arnold Howard
Mesquite, TX

Miriam Nathanson

Sep 24, 2019, 12:08:27 PM9/24/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Works in San Francisco.

Neon-Cat

Sep 24, 2019, 12:11:06 PM9/24/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
The Cat still loves you all!

Marian
Neon-Cat Devon Rex
www.neon-cat.com

Eric Hansen

Sep 24, 2019, 1:24:13 PM9/24/19
to ClayCraft
When I get the time again I am going to focus on hand-formed chawan. Life has been hectic to the point of panic, and I need to use this practice to reclaim a part of my life to "slow down" in

I retired after 40 years of printing press operator-ing, and 10 years of combined building trades and restaurant worker. As you may or may not know I completed part of my ceramics education with a very elite cohort at Kansas City Art Institute, but I discontinued it from lack of financial support, but later completed the degree at University of Kansas, which was a very positive environment for exploring the cultural environment of Asian Art scholarship. My retirement was forced upon me by (1) downsizing (2) and family illnesses and deaths, which have consumed most of my time.

I really need to start over from scratch on my studio work, my examples are all sized wrong for proper tea wares. I'll keep you posted. It's a good time to get this group going again, as Facebook has gotten highly unstable with the introduction of new generation AI, we suspect.

--
Eric Hansen
Hansen's Hermetic Garage

patricia CASSONE

Sep 24, 2019, 2:44:46 PM9/24/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lee and guys, yes it works here..in France.. glad to hear about you..!
Have a good autumn !

Patricia Cassone
1 La Valette
87160 Saint-Sulpice-les-Feuilles
France

Hank Murrow

Sep 24, 2019, 3:48:45 PM9/24/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com, Eric Hansen

On Sep 24, 2019, at 10:23 AM, Eric Hansen <kansas...@gmail.com> wrote:

When I get the time again I am going to focus on hand-formed chawan. Life has been hectic to the point of panic, and I need to use this practice to reclaim a part of my life to "slow down” in.

I really need to start over from scratch on my studio work, my examples are all sized wrong for proper tea wares. I'll keep you posted. It's a good time to get this group going again, as Facebook has gotten highly unstable with the introduction of new generation AI, we suspect.

Well Eric;

It is good to hear that you are in re-assessment mode and making progress. As an initial suggestion, have a regard for the claybody you want to make chawan with. A few years ago, I took my Tea-guru's advice, and made up a recipe which at C/10_12 in most any kiln yields a chawan that does not ring when the tea is whisked. That is, it is somewhat underfired at those high temperatures. So now, my chawan have a pleasant “like rain on thatch” sound, as advised by my Tea friend in Japan. High temp Raku, if you will!

As a retirement gift, allow me to share my chawan recipe, which is good in both handbuilding and thrown modes. If you wish a little color in the high fire, you can add some red clay or some other ‘dirty’ but useful addition. I tend to heat my chawan up to dull red and smoke them like raku to color the clay a charcoal tone, which creates a nice contrast with the glaze on the chawan. YMMV, as usual.

Hank's Tea Body:

Ball Clay 33%

6 Tile Kaolin 33%

Mix of 48 and 35 mesh Kanite 33%

Vee Gum T 1.5%

Mix the ball clay and the Vee Gum T together in very hot water first to a creamy consistency, then add the kaolin, and finally the Kyanite mix, blunging with a Jiffy Mixer at each stage, until well blenaded and about the final consistency of a chocolate malt.

Decant into tapered(so you can easily empty them) polyester-canvas bags that can hang from the ceiling joists in your studio, and wait until the bottom half of the bags can just be squeezed by hand. Then, take a bag to your wedging table and work the clay up into a soft mass and double-bag the whole wad in plastic for aging. A month will make a difference, but more than that is not really needed IMHO. It will keep in this soft-wedged condition for months.

The The Kyanite is 70% alumina, and functions as high temperature grog, and the body can safely be fired to C/18__20. Great for pulling chawan from the anagama stoke ports, followed by a few minutes in a sanding dust smoke, and sounding lovely when whisked.

Anyway, have fun with whatever you find to do, and report back if my advice proves sound or useful.  Whisk yourself some Matcha with your first bowls! I like mine with some lemon juice and honey, it is OK to be a bit iconoclastic in everything at our age!

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

PS: Thanks for the “Eugene" Petrified Wood! It rests in our Tea garden.

James Cody Kroll

Sep 24, 2019, 5:34:01 PM9/24/19
to claycraft, Eric Hansen
Glad we are all going "old school" with the communications! I super enjoyed these emails this week. keep it going! tganks for the recipe! I am going to mix some up!

Gassho 合掌、

Kanyu 観涌 Kroll

--
Claycraft on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/claycraft/

Des & Jan Howard

Sep 24, 2019, 5:39:22 PM9/24/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Yep
Des

--
Des & Jan Howard
Lue Pottery

61 02 6373 6419
www.luepottery.hwy.com.au
FB des.howard.1
-32.656072 149.840624

Lee Love

Sep 24, 2019, 9:16:50 PM9/24/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Welcome everyone!

It Lives!

Lee

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/claycraft/290c3979-f49b-9131-035f-f7122a2e5a71%40hwy.com.au.
FB_IMG_1568760387909.jpg

Eric Hansen

Sep 24, 2019, 10:56:22 PM9/24/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Does not go to Spam nor Promotions for me

gary navarre

Sep 26, 2019, 12:49:03 PM9/26/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
I guess so. Haven't done much since moving downstate to Dearborn. I helped Henry Crissman in Hamtramck fire the Mobilgama a couple times. I sprung for a face cord of hardwood. It fired in about a day or so.

 Hard to believe I been here 7 years. Just got done massiquering 40' of Rose of Sharon because the City didn't like them getting so big. At least I finally fed a few honey bees. I could go down to Randal Genser's Detroit Tile but I hate driving the ditches of Detroit to get there. We get spoiled with the studio in the house. Can't build a kiln here. I'm thinking of selling & moving back to near Kalamazoo again closer to my daughter. The only thing I might miss is the dispensaries. I found a THC/CBD slave that seems to have eliminated my lower back pain & my shoulders so I'm off the Tramadol that didn't work. I've gotten a little out of shape scrolling Facebook & watching cable but I'm planning on changing that soon.

Gary Navarre
Navarre Pottery
Navarre Enterprises
Dearborn, Michigan, USA

On Monday, September 23, 2019, 06:15:21 PM EDT, Lee In Mpls, MN <tog...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wondering if this still works!

Lee in Mpls.

--
Claycraft on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/claycraft/

Eric Hansen

Sep 26, 2019, 3:05:09 PM9/26/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Gary what ratio CBD to THC? I can’t find the right balance?

Good to hear from you! I’ve not been too much into clay BUT I WILL

gary navarre

Sep 30, 2019, 1:33:12 AM9/30/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
I didn't do the math but there is 750mg THC & 250mg CBD in 4oz of a bunch of vehicle. In Michigan it is called Chill medicated extreme pain relief rub.

Gary Navarre
Navarre Pottery
Navarre Enterprises
Dearborn, Michigan, USA

Eric Hansen

Sep 30, 2019, 5:07:52 PM9/30/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Well that’s interesting 3:1 not seen before. Mostly 18:1, 4:1 mostly CBD or simply 1:1

Decarboxylated hemp is about 18:1 mostly CBD and has a full range of cannabinoids- I don’t find vape or edible to work as well either CBD or THC products

gary navarre

Oct 2, 2019, 3:22:59 AM10/2/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
I used a 1:1 tincture & now one I mix. Just re upped on chocolates.

Gary Navarre
Navarre Pottery
Navarre Enterprises
Dearborn, Michigan, USA

Lee Love

Oct 6, 2019, 10:01:37 PM10/6/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Hey!  My chawan won Best In Show by judge Pete Pinnell in the Kansas City Clay Guild Teabowl National!

FB_IMG_1570413543025.jpg

bill geisinger

Oct 6, 2019, 10:05:42 PM10/6/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com

Craig Edwards

Oct 7, 2019, 9:56:14 AM10/7/19
to ClayCraft

Muddy Fingers Pottery

Oct 7, 2019, 12:16:51 PM10/7/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Yep still here too.
Nice to hear you guys are still going too.
We are making tableware and teaching mainly. Going to NCECA and presenting there this year was fun.
Traveling with a kiln in a suitcase too, more pottery adventures planned soon.
Keep it up guys.
Marv

Marv Kitshaw
Potter

Oct 7, 2019, 2:01:03 PM10/7/19
to NANCY LIEDL, clay...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone!  Nancy, were you at his glaze and firing workshop at NCC be in St. Paul in the early '90s?
Was a great workshop!

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019, 10:25 AM NANCY LIEDL <curly...@comcast.net> wrote:

Good for you.

I have a lot of respect for Pete.

NANCY LIEDL

Oct 7, 2019, 2:03:08 PM10/7/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com

I got your email Lee.

Nancy

NANCY LIEDL

Oct 7, 2019, 2:03:08 PM10/7/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com

Lee,

Thanks for the pic. .

A few of us spent the day with ken Ferguson  a number of years ago.

We spent time in the stdio saw great Gaudi slides and took us home and showed us all his treasures.

His wife was there also. I can't remember her name . It was such a kind and generous gesture.

He is one of our great treasures . I am still remembering how important it is to be generous and kind and humble.

NANCY LIEDL

Oct 7, 2019, 2:03:08 PM10/7/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com, Lee Love

Good for you.

I have a lot of respect for Pete.

RICHARD MAHAFFEY

Oct 7, 2019, 2:21:59 PM10/7/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com

Lee, good job!  Congratulations!

Rick

Lee Love

Oct 7, 2019, 3:21:47 PM10/7/19
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Nancy,

I have only met Ken Ferguson when he was at the Regis Panel for NCC at the MIA.  I remember him saying, after walking into the sales area (not gallery area):

"Here is the best collection of ceramic work anywhere, and it is all because of Warren MacKenzie."

An other Regis Master I was happy to meet was Ron Meyers.   He was standing in front of some of his work in the gallery.   I introduced myself and said I was happy to meet him, that I've admired his work for a long time.  He thanked me and I responded:   I really appreciate the humor in the work.  He said to me:

"I like my undecorated work the best.  But unless I put an animal on it, nobody will buy it!"   Hahaha!

I am starting to do animals on my pots in the form of inlay.  ;)