Bristol University launches CKAN-fronted Research Data Repository

Philip Cross

Jul 18, 2014, 6:51:32 AM7/18/14
to ckan-global...@googlegroups.com
Bristol University has launched a Research Data Repository using the CKAN data portal: http://data.bris.ac.uk/data/

This offers a means for Bristol’s researchers to share research data openly with the world. The repository draws together data deposited with national subject repositories over the past 40 years, alongside more recent datasets that have been  published to support research publications.

The local research data is stored in a separate data storage facility run by the Advanced Computing Research Centre at Bristol, with metadata imported into CKAN via an implementation of the CKAN harvester. Metadata for externally hosted data is imported via a spreadsheet.

Sharing research data can help to increase the impact of the data and associated research through greater citation and re-use. Each dataset is assigned a unique Digital Object Identifier (DOI), which provides a persistent identifier to allow the data to be easily cited by other researchers. The DOIs will eventually resolve to the relevant CKAN package pages.

The CKAN interface is intended to provide a user friendly point of access to Bristol's research data and, to help with this, we have implemented parent/child package relationships to break down some of the larger datasets into more manageable sections.

Phil Cross
University of Bristol Research Data Service

Irina Bolychevsky

Jul 18, 2014, 10:11:19 AM7/18/14
to ckan-global...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

That's awesome! It looks really good, we've been checking it out here in Berlin post OKFest :)

Would you mind adding it to the CKAN Census: http://ckan.org/census/ ?

Cheers,
Irina

Irina Bolychevsky

Commercial Director  |  skype: flouxi  |  twitter: @shevski

The Open Knowledge Foundation

Empowering through Open Knowledge

http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn  |  OKF on Facebook  |  Blog  |  Newsletter

Coming to OKFestival? Berlin 15th - 17th July. Join us!

CKAN | http://ckan.org | @ckanproject | open source data management platform

Philip Cross

Stefan Oderbolz

Jul 22, 2014, 10:40:21 AM7/22/14
to ckan-global...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

The CKAN interface is intended to provide a user friendly point of access to Bristol's research data and, to help with this, we have implemented parent/child package relationships to break down some of the larger datasets into more manageable sections.

Can you point me to the source code for this parten/child package implementation? I'm very intersted how you managed to do that. I could only find the ckanext-oaipmh extension of GitHub (https://github.com/ilrt/ckanext-oaipmh).

Thanks in advance!

- Stefan

--
Liip AG  // Limmatstrasse 183 //  CH-8005 Zürich
Tel +41 43 500 39 80 // GnuPG 0x7B588C67 // www.liip.ch

Andrew Hoppin

Jul 22, 2014, 2:23:26 PM7/22/14
to ckan-global...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Phil! Really nice looking site.

Best,
Andrew