Changing decimal separator from dot to comma

Alan Tygel

Jun 2, 2015, 11:40:15 AM6/2/15
to ckan-global...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is there any way to configure CKAN for recognizing comma (,) as decimal separator in plotting graphs, instead of dot (.) ?

thanks,
alan

Matthew Fullerton

Jun 2, 2015, 3:24:50 PM6/2/15
to ckan-global...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,
Do you mean with the graph view/graph view inside the data explorer? The simple answer is no. It would require some modifications to CKAN and is partially related to this issue:

Basically the underlying javascript (Recline etc.) doing the views probably will let you do it but you need to get CKAN to tell it to do so and this code doesn't exist yet. I don't think it would be too difficult.

Although I can see the need to support semicolons instead of commas as separators, I'm not so sure about supporting commas as decimal places. I would have thought the most interoperable format is to use periods, and that interoperability is important for a public facing site where people download the data. Although I know some CKANs are not public :)

You might want to also try the dev list.

Best,
Matt

Projekt SMARTLANE

EXIST-Gründungsvorhaben „Tapestry“
c/o Lehrstuhl für Verkehrstechnik
Technische Universität München
Arcisstraße 21

80333 München

Gefördert vom Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Technologie
aufgrund eines Beschlusses des Deutschen Bundestages.

Steven De Costa

Jun 2, 2015, 6:09:03 PM6/2/15
to ckan-global...@googlegroups.com, CKAN Development Discussions
Interesting question Alan.

Based on international convention either should be acceptable but perhaps the choice should be set in configuration to allow harvesting with context.

Before it is a display issue it would be a data issue.

What is the experience of other users with how it has been handled?

BTW, I've CC'd in the dev list as such questions are probably answered there quicker :) you can also search stackoverflow for CKAN threads that might already cover technical/config questions.

Cheers,
Steven

STEVEN DE COSTA | EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
www.linkdigital.com.au