Paint- A- Pillar

Lisa Crump

Oct 29, 2020, 6:32:26 PM10/29/20
to Hive13 Makerspace

It is finally happening. Let’s paint, or otherwise decorate, the pillars!

If you are interested, please join the Paint a Pillar Slack channel do discuss ideas and coordinate projects and look at the Paint a Pillar wiki page, https://wiki.hive13.org/view/Paint_a_Pillar, for a map and list of available pillars.

There are a number of reserved pillars for Ward specific themes and one for member signatures. These pillars are prominent in their ward and are to be decorated with something ward related, like yarn bombing the craft/sewing pillar.

If interested in decorating a ward pillar, create your design, submit it on the Paint a Pillar Slack channel and then allow anyone else who wishes wants to enter their design for that column has two weeks to submit their design before a vote will be held. Wardens have a veto power to say that the design doesn’t represent the ward. In which case, the artist can sign up for a different pillar if they still wish to use their design.

Free columns can be reserved and painted at any time so long as three other members approve of the design. Please be courteous of your fellow makers and only have one pillar reserved at a time.

Designs should be concrete and explainable to others so they have an idea of what you are thinking about. This could be as detailed as drawings of what you want to put up on the column or as simple as I want to do an abstract painting where the column is painted in gradients between rust and ox blood with primitive shapes painted in flat black and covered with a glitter wash.  I will ensure that the glitter adheres so as not to make a mess of the space.

Supplies are not guaranteed. If there are donations, artists are free to use them.

Remember that what is on our walls is a representation of our space that everyone can see. Please make sure that your artwork is appropriate. If in doubt, please ask for a second opinion.

Kayla Lukawiecki

Oct 30, 2020, 10:10:27 AM10/30/20
to Hive13 Makerspace
I'm so stoked for this

Brant Martin

Oct 30, 2020, 10:15:02 AM10/30/20
to Hive13 Makerspace
I have piles of mistinted paint that I can't sell. I'm more than happy to re-color and donate it to the hive when and where needed,

Kayla Lukawiecki

Oct 30, 2020, 10:21:01 AM10/30/20
to Hive13 Makerspace
I'm literally bouncing in my chair in excitement.

momt...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2020, 11:35:01 AM10/30/20
to Hive13 Makerspace
What are the pillar dimensions? Diameter mostly

momt...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2020, 3:19:21 PM10/30/20
to Hive13 Makerspace
I don't have access to slack, but here's my idea for the craft pillar:

Craft Pillar Yarn bombing plan:

The yarn bomb will consist of brightly colored, knit, crochet, braided, woven, etc. stripes of different heights, which allows for many participating artists, each contributing one or more stripes. Some stripes will reflect crafting themes, or the Hive itself, others will be the artistic expression of the creator without such references. Once all the stripes have been created, they will be joined and placed on the pillar.

Having a multitude of crafters not only reduces the time it will take to create the yarn bomb, but also symbolizes the very nature of Hive13 which brings together many individuals each of whom makes a unique contribution to the whole.

I’m volunteering to be the point person for this project. I will put out a call for crafters through googlegroups. We can plan the stripes as a group, through an in-person or zoom meeting depending on how many volunteers there are. I will keep a record of who is knitting what and will coordinate the compilation process as stripes get finished. Depending again on how many crafters we have, we may have a compilation/installation day where we all get together at the Hive, or we made need to select a couple people to do the installation.

Jim

Oct 30, 2020, 4:53:30 PM10/30/20
to Hive13 Makerspace
You were asking for the dimensions of a typical column.  Take these with a grain of salt.  Results may vary.

JimD
Hive13-TypicalColumn-20201030.png

Lisa Crump

Nov 3, 2020, 10:36:17 AM11/3/20
to Hive13 Makerspace
Sorry for the delayed reply, this weekend was busy.

I don't know your name, person who's email is momt...@gmail.com, do you want to get on slack or would you like me to write this up and post it there? And if you want me to post it do you want to be the lead artist or would you want me to be? I am willing to lead it but won't have much time to work on it until the new year.

I am trying to keep individual designs and discussion on Slack as it gives other members the option to join in on the conversation or ignore it as they choose, plus it is a better platform for discussion.

Let me know!
Lisa

Pamela Taylor

Nov 3, 2020, 11:05:21 AM11/3/20
to Hive13 Makerspace
Oh, sorry,

This is Pamela Taylor, Doug Schmidt's wife. I'm glad to get on slack, I think I just need an invite.

I'm also glad to be lead person or have someone else be lead.

Pamela

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cincihackerspace/aa683c99-aaba-42d2-8721-e260eef668afn%40googlegroups.com
.