Vote Proposal - Bleeding Control Kits + General First Aid Refresh - $400

Jeremy Yap

May 18, 2021, 9:50:50 PM5/18/21
to Hive13 Makerspace
This is a proposal to do a general refresh of our first aid supplies as well as add bleeding control kits to our space.

The $400 will be used as follows:
  • Purchase 3 Bleeding Control Kits ($100 each, for a total of $300)
  • Re-stock basics for our 3 First Aid Cabinets ($100, may be less)

I'll explain these items starting from most expensive.

The "Bleeding Control Kits" will be a new addition to the first aid supplies in our space. These kits are separate from general first aid and are for handling catastrophic bleeding. This would include severe bleeding from arteries as well as the loss of a limb or other extremity.
My plan is to purchase three Bleeding Control Kits and install one in the Woodworking Area, one in the Metalworking Area, and one next to the main first aid station.

Going off advice put out by the ACS Committee on Trauma and some emergency medical folks I know, these kits will contain the following:
  • Tourniquet (CAT or SOF-T)
  • Hemostatic Gauze (QuikClot or Celox)
  • Nitrile Gloves
  • Permanent Marker
  • Emergency/Compression Bandage (Emergency Bandage, OLEAS Modular Bandage, or NAR Emergency Trauma Dressing)
  • Vented Chest Seals
  • Trauma Shears
$300 should cover all three kits, probably less due to a sale currently going on. Since there is currently a sale on these supplies at some stores due to Stop The Bleed Month, I'm going purchasing these kits right away then taking the cost out of the budget later.
I'm OK with doing this purchase right away since I know of some orgs I can donate the supplies to if for whatever reason we decide that we do not need these kits.

After these kits arrive and are installed I intend to hold an informal training at some point on how to use the kits once it is safe to do so.
That said, if you want to get training on your own on how to handle traumatic bleeding I would recommend attending a Stop The Bleed training when you can (https://www.stopthebleed.org/).

The second part of this is refreshing our general first aid supplies in all three of our cabinets.
Currently the stock inside our cabinets is very inconsistent and has a lot of older items we might need to get rid of.

My current plan is as follows:
  1. Establish a basic list of supplies each kit should have (this will likely start from ANSI Class A first aid kit requirements and add from there).
  2. Take an inventory of what items we have to fulfill that basic list, and allocate them accordingly.
  3. Purchase whatever additional supplies are necessary to complete those basics.
  4. Add whatever additional supplies we want given the space we have left in the cabinets.
$100 should be good enough to fulfill this though I'm guessing we won't use all of that.

After all the new first aid supplies are in place, we should also make a wiki page detailing the inventory as well as dates for maintenance and refresh.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this plan.

Brad Walsh

May 18, 2021, 10:28:03 PM5/18/21
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I vote YES

Thanks for working on this.

Thanks, Brad

Dave B.

May 19, 2021, 12:29:16 AM5/19/21
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com

Dave Velzy

May 19, 2021, 6:27:58 AM5/19/21
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com

dave....@gmail.com

May 19, 2021, 6:28:59 AM5/19/21
to Hive13 Makerspace
Yes

Kevin McLeod

May 19, 2021, 8:27:03 AM5/19/21
to Hive13 Makerspace
yes

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 6:28:59 AM UTC-4 dave....@gmail.com wrote:
Yes

Tim Yelvington

May 19, 2021, 10:20:39 AM5/19/21
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
Yes

Jim

May 19, 2021, 1:38:13 PM5/19/21
to Hive13 Makerspace
Yes

John Clark

May 19, 2021, 1:45:21 PM5/19/21
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com

K Schuler

May 19, 2021, 2:19:16 PM5/19/21
to Unknown
Yes,
My wife is a stop the bleed instructor and can also pick up the kits direct from distributors. My wife and I both carried kits along with additional items for the power tool drag racing when we used to do that.

Jeremy Yap

May 19, 2021, 3:15:00 PM5/19/21
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I already ordered the kits, but good to know.

If she happens to be available to do a training at some point that might be a better option for that, because admittedly I'm kind of a mediocre teacher. 😆

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Hive13 Makerspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cincihackerspace/CAL9NqcGuqQCAhUEqb57kvquzhH5wHwNCpSUf%2Bs3hFXXO%3Dq-%3Dpw%40mail.gmail.com.

jsiko...@gmail.com

May 19, 2021, 4:48:21 PM5/19/21
to Hive13 Makerspace
yes

Would like an intro to the "Bleeding Control" kits

john.o...@gmail.com

May 20, 2021, 12:01:41 PM5/20/21
to Hive13 Makerspace
yes

John O

Chris Hodapp

May 20, 2021, 1:58:36 PM5/20/21
to Hive13 Makerspace
Yes

Kayla Lukawiecki

May 21, 2021, 3:37:57 PM5/21/21
to Hive13 Makerspace
yes

Dave Schwinn

May 22, 2021, 3:49:43 PM5/22/21
to Hive13 Makerspace
Oh goodness, YES!  Thank you for putting together this vote, Jeremy!

Kate Cook

May 23, 2021, 1:51:04 PM5/23/21
to Hive13 Makerspace
I vote yes!

Rob Wetterer

May 23, 2021, 6:15:54 PM5/23/21
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
YES

Thank you,
Rob Wetterer

Drew Weller

May 31, 2021, 12:44:49 PM5/31/21
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I vote Yes. I'm also a stop the bleed instructor and if you need addl help running a class let me know.
-Drew Weller

Chris Davis

May 31, 2021, 5:29:18 PM5/31/21
to Hive13

Jeremy Yap

Jul 8, 2021, 7:21:52 PM7/8/21
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
Update on this.

The Bleeding Control Kits are more or less in place. We're probably going to re-mount the main first aid cabinet at some point and when that happens the kit there will be mounted with it.

I did start taking inventory of our first aid supplies for the cabinets, but after doing the numbers for two of the cabinets, it just wasn't that much more expensive to just order all the needed supplies not to mention the issue of older items where the packaging might have failed at some point.
I've just ordered a refill pack for each cabinet. I'll restock the three cabinets with new supplies first then sort out what extra items are worth saving from the existing stock.

Jeremy Yap

Jul 20, 2021, 10:22:20 PM7/20/21
to Hive13 Makerspace
Update on this, the re-stock of the general first aid cabinets has been completed.

I've re-stock each kit with the minimum supply list and put the additional stuff that was still usable in the main first aid cabinet.
Supply lists have been added to each cabinet.

I've also put together a wiki page with supply lists and info on maintenance: https://wiki.hive13.org/view/First_aid

Brad Walsh

Jul 20, 2021, 11:18:00 PM7/20/21
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for doing this.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hive13 Makerspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cincihackerspace/65efbe8e-e1f3-4d49-b306-d4235b056c90n%40googlegroups.com.
--
Thanks, Brad

John Clark

Jul 21, 2021, 11:43:36 AM7/21/21
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com

Vicente González

Jul 21, 2021, 1:29:23 PM7/21/21
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jeremy,
One of those things...

“Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.”