Measuring Alcoholic Content Post-Fermentation

charles udale

Jun 5, 2022, 7:24:27 AM6/5/22
to Cider Workshop
Dear Cider Makers,

Does anyone know if there are labs to which I could send samples of my finished cider to ascertain their ABV? I have records of SG for all the barrels in the cidery, but I am concerned that slightly inaccurate measurement of blending volumes will throw out my final ABV calculations to an unacceptable extent.

I am UK based.

As all ways, your help would be very much appreciated,

Charlie

Cider

Jun 5, 2022, 12:10:51 PM6/5/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Campden BRI is probably the gold standard and their certificates should be fully UKAS accredited.

These people offer a cheaper service, probably not accredited, but may be adequate for what you need

Alternatively you may be able to persuade any large cidermakers local to you to pop a couple of samples into their testing schedule!

Andrew

Wittenham Hill Cider Page

On 5 Jun 2022, at 12:25, charles udale <charle...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Cider Makers,
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

gareth chapman

Jun 5, 2022, 4:44:05 PM6/5/22
to Cider Workshop

Cider

Jun 6, 2022, 5:03:07 AM6/6/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Just a word of caution.  If any of the analysts offer you spectroscopic / NIR analysis, do double check with them that the method has been properly calibrated and validated for cider (not beer or wine or spirits).

That’s because NIR is only an indirect measurement of alcohol and can be affected by the presence of other “stuff” in the liquid. Whereas the traditional methods like GC, distillation or ebulliometry give a more direct measurement of alcohol level.

Andrew

Wittenham Hill Cider Page

On 5 Jun 2022, at 21:44, gareth chapman <chappe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Murphy and son are UKAS accredited.

charles udale

Jun 7, 2022, 7:06:49 AM6/7/22
to Cider Workshop
Thank you both for these links! This is fantastic information.

One more question. I am planning to sell this cider, how do I tell if the abv report will meet trading standards?

gareth chapman

Jun 7, 2022, 11:09:44 AM6/7/22
to Cider Workshop
this is the labelling regulations, including tolerances. Then HMRC specify the methodology they use to determine  ABV. you are however allowed to use any method to assay within the allowable tolerances

MARTIN CAMPLING

Jun 11, 2022, 5:35:20 PM6/11/22
to Cider Workshop