Apple storage - rodents

Andy Backinsell

May 20, 2020, 5:03:52 PM5/20/20
to Cider Workshop
I am looking for a solution for storing apples short ish term  - I help run a community orchard and want to be able to store apples ready for pressing either at the orchard in a shed, or in another location, both places have a good few West Country rodents who like a nibble.  Can anyone suggest crates or boxes that are 'rat proof' (notwithstanding the issue that perhaps very little is actually rat proof!) at least enough that we can store for a few days before a pressing?  Second hand or upcycled ideal!

NB This would be later variety apples, probably cider or cross purpose like Winston - any thoughts about longer term setups and storage experiences would be greatly appriciated.

jitd...@aol.com

May 21, 2020, 1:33:51 PM5/21/20
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I don't worry about a bit of rat niblage on cider apples, after all cider is just apple juice that has gone bad, but I do resent it when they have a go at my dessert and cooking apples.  I live in Dorset, and this year the rats are as big as rabbits, refuse to be intimidated, and are too clever to get caught in my traps.  A couple of years ago I made a rat-proof cage out of shuttering for the back, top and shelves with a frame of stud wood and side panels filled in with plasterer's mesh.  It worked!
JD

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Paul

May 21, 2020, 2:35:55 PM5/21/20
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
To cure rats, get comfy outside and a good air rifle with sights!!!

May 22, 2020, 11:50:48 AM5/22/20
to Cider Workshop
I suspect It's better to rat-proof the shed (or create a rat-proof enclosure as suggested) than use rat-proof crates which would probably be solid plastic. Apples plus plastic can quickly become mush, apples seem to prefer cardboard for storage. Obviously a vented plastic crate would stop the mush issue, but would provide an open invitation to the rodents.

Andrew Lea

May 22, 2020, 1:10:17 PM5/22/20
to Cider Workshop
This page from my book shows what i used to do. I had no indoor storage. There were Weldmesh panels above and below the crates. Kept the rats and the birds away. (And because I kept chickens, I inevitably had rats. Rat droppings on cider apples are not nice).

Andrew

AB2954F9-EE3F-4436-A9A2-83AD1418695C.jpeg

jitd...@aol.com

May 22, 2020, 2:57:14 PM5/22/20
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Half the problem is knowing what the gubbins is called "in the trade".  I spent some instructive time with an octogenarian  plasterer a couple or more years back.  He introduced me to rolls of galvanised expanded steel mesh called in the trade "galvanised lath".   Useful stuff when re-plastering unstable stone walls on eighteenth century farmhouses, but also doubles as quite modestly priced rat-proofing.  Knock up a timber framed storage facility.  Fill in the blanks with galvanised lath.  The bit I found tricky was arranging access ports.  The magic word you are looking for here is "cleats".  Unable to find anything helpful in the Screwfix catalogue I improvised my own with lengths of  steel strap and wooden off-cuts.  Works though.  I'd send a photy but I don't got the technology and my wife would be embarrassed by my showing all the other junk in the shed.  .
JD

May 22, 2020, 3:08:48 PM5/22/20
to Cider Workshop
Here is my own apple storage "shed". Works nicely. I can put quite a bit of apples in there (like 300 kgs).

180717_1_lr.jpg

nath...@wildingorchards.com

Andy Backinsell

May 22, 2020, 3:59:44 PM5/22/20
to Cider Workshop
Great! Thanks all - I am formulating a plan! We have a large wooden box of unknown origin - that lined with the rendering screed mentioned might suit one location with a crate / box combo off the floor for immediate on site storage. Thanks again!

Andy Backinsell

Sep 2, 2021, 5:37:33 PM9/2/21
to Cider Workshop
Thanks for the tips.  Finally put some finishing touches to the box (link opens in Facebook) and we are pretty happy, some Discoveries and Red Windsor matured nicely over a few weeks after falling early.  Just need to work out how to the keep the woodlice out now, never realised what a pest they were until growing apples!