Foam when using Belt Press

Paul Rolfe

Jun 29, 2022, 8:14:58 AM6/29/22
to Cider Workshop
Good Morning Cider Gods

Does anyone know of a solution to reducing the amount of foam produced when using a belt press?  Altering the speed doesn't seem to make any difference.

Paul

Marius Persinaru

Jun 29, 2022, 10:42:59 AM6/29/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi, same here, just bought a belt press and using it first time- lots of foam I could not get rid of. Any experience ?
regards
Marius
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Wes Cherry

Jun 29, 2022, 10:51:06 AM6/29/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I just ignore it and remove at end of day cleaning.   Any that makes it into the tank either gets displaced out the top or settles.

It’s fun to freeze some and eat it like some kind of icy cotton candy.

-'//es Cherry
Dragon's Head Cider
Vashon Island, Wa US

On Jun 29, 2022, at 7:42 AM, 'Marius Persinaru' via Cider Workshop <cider-w...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi, same here, just bought a belt press and using it first time- lots of foam I could not get rid of. Any experience ?

ciderman

Jun 29, 2022, 10:58:08 AM6/29/22
to Cider Workshop

We have been operating a belt press since ’98.  Some varieties are worse than others.

Here a few things to mitigate but not eliminate the issue.

*Blend varieties prior to crushing – we do this in a flume tank.

*Operate belt-washer more often.

*Send juice and foam through a rotary drum sieve screen.  This breaks down foam some and capture back some juice.

*Increase the screen hole size at your crusher/grinder. (if an option)

I hope to hear others thoughts on foam mitigation in belt presses.  My solutions help but do not “control”.

Mike in the middle of Michigan - USA

Paul Rolfe

Jun 29, 2022, 11:24:31 AM6/29/22
to Cider Workshop
Thanks for the replies guys.  For more info, my belt press has a constant belt wash so it is always clean.  I could get a coarser grinder unit but that would probably reduce the yield somewhat.  I currently run it at about 250litres per hour.  The belt press is a Sraml TP40.

Wes Cherry

Jun 29, 2022, 11:25:13 AM6/29/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
We run a recirc pump back to the pomace infeed with some varieties to help it feed better.   I suppose you could do the same, washing the foam to cause it to break down in the press pan.    It’s not much volume of cider in the foam in any case so likely not worth it.

-'//es Cherry
Dragon's Head Cider
Vashon Island, Wa US

On Jun 29, 2022, at 7:51 AM, Wes Cherry <w...@dragonsheadcider.com> wrote:

I just ignore it and remove at end of day cleaning.   Any that makes it into the tank either gets displaced out the top or settles.

remo.t...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2022, 2:44:16 PM6/29/22
to Cider Workshop
We run a rotary screen filter with its exit slightly higher then the intake and that works pretty good. It rolls the foam around and breaks it down. See image attached.

Some varieties have more foam then others and as Wes pointed out, it is actually not that much if it is not "flowing" out of the juice pan.

I have also seen people place a mister close to the juice pan with somewhat success. It is a miniscule amount of water that might be added.

Hope that helps

Remo
Juicing Dot Systems
20220328_090813.jpg