Racking after pectinase addition

Tony Cross

May 2, 2022, 5:28:33 PM5/2/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I am interested to know if most cidermakers out there Rack after pectinase addition/ before yeast addition?

Tony Cross

Crafty Cider

Ph: 0429 823 375

Claude Jolicoeur

May 3, 2022, 12:35:10 AM5/3/22
to Cider Workshop
Tony,
I could'n tell you if "most" do it, but certainly that a good number.
Note that in addition to pectinase, you may add some fining and rack a clarified cider.
I think there are some local habits there - in some cider making regions many will do a pre-fermentation clarification, and in other regions, very few will...
For my part, I think there are good advantages in doing it, and mostly if you intend to control fermentation speed by racking further along the process, as rackings are then more efficient. Naturally also, the cider will be easier to clarify once the fermentation is completed.

Vince Wakefield

May 3, 2022, 5:28:26 AM5/3/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

For me it is none of them,

I don’t add pectinase, I don’t add yeast and I don’t rack until it naturally cleared and is ready to bottle.

Never needed anything to get a crystal clear cider.

Vince

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

image001.jpg

Ray Blockley

May 3, 2022, 5:40:01 AM5/3/22
to Cider Workshop
We do exactly the same as Vince?
Time, nature & gravity have always worked for us too.

Ray
Torkard Cider
Nottingham UK