Churchill and the 1911 Boxing Ban

ric...@langworth.name

Mar 18, 2021, 10:27:08 AM3/18/21
to ChurchillChat
Dear Antoine,
(New thread for a new subject.)
With your usual perspicacity, you zero in on the one new item in this latest eruption from the fever swamps: Churchill banned interracial boxing matches. The Empire Strikes Back!

Unwilling to give out my email or pay to download the Guardian-linked article,  "British Boxing's Colour Bar" by Neil Carter, I searched and found it here: https://bit.ly/3rYvvMQ
Ignore all the ads and come-ons and just read Carter's piece, which you'll eventually see after X-ing out all the pop-ups:

Carter's article is perfectly straightforward and scarcely mentions Churchill. The effrontery expressed in the Guardian over the 1911 ban on white-black boxing sounds like what William Manchester called "Generational Chauvinism." Outrage over what was common injustice a century ago.

Nowhere (except in the Guardian article) does Churchill say "white fighters would not be seen losing to black ones." Nowhere is he quoted saying "that Britain and the US shared 'Anglo-Saxon superiority.'" Nowhere in fact, on the boxing ban, is he quoted as saying anything. Is WSC being boxed into another corner? Hmm.

lb1940-5crop.jpg Lusstige Blatter, Berlin, 1940

This bears further research: first to establish that the matter actually got to his desk; second, what if anything he said about it. But if you read Lord Stanhope's objections (Carter's article) they seem to have had more to do with discouraging white/black violence than assertions of racial inferiority. You read it and tell me!

The 7th Earl of Stanhope (1880-1967) was a Conservative politician whom WSC succeeded as First Lord of the Admiralty in 1939. I could find nothing about his involvement in the pugilistic debates of 1911: https://bit.ly/3vGdiWk
I have checked the online Churchill Archives without success but have asked for help from the Archives Centre.

======
Dr Antoine Capet wrote:
The Churchill College symposium, "The Racial Consequences of Mr Churchill",
is vigorously defended in Wednesday's Guardian by its organiser: https://bit.ly/3r0bJPu
May I say that the article contains new accusations that i had never heard
of, like "In 1911, Churchill banned interracial boxing matches so white fighters
would not be seen losing to black ones" ?

Antoine Capet

Mar 18, 2021, 2:13:11 PM3/18/21
to church...@googlegroups.com
Dear Richard,

Another one, I'm afraid :

Winston Churchill was "a figure who promoted racism and inequality, unfairly
imprisoning and torturing many".

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19074602.seaford-school-drops-churchill-jk-rowling-house-names/

Torturing ? Where and when ? Another "new" one !

Best,

A.C.
=============

Dr Antoine Capet wrote:
The Churchill College symposium, "The Racial Consequences of Mr Churchill",
is vigorously defended in Wednesday's Guardian by its organiser:
https://bit.ly/3r0bJPu
May I say that the article contains new accusations that i had never heard
of, like "In 1911, Churchill banned interracial boxing matches so white
fighters
would not be seen losing to black ones" ?
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/churchillchat/f34f19a5-c676-4df9-bae5-797bae3ba32an%40googlegroups.com.

ric...@langworth.name

Mar 18, 2021, 2:45:15 PM3/18/21
to ChurchillChat
Antoine. Nothing new, same old same old; Andrew Roberts replied to that one in a newspaper, I believe.
We are reaching the realms of fantasy here.....