Daughters of Yalta Zoom Talk - 17 June. Yalta seen through the eyes of Sarah Churchill.

Rafal Heydel-Mankoo

Jun 16, 2021, 6:19:52 PM6/16/21
to church...@googlegroups.com
Below please find details of a potentially interesting Zoom talk about Yalta seen through the eyes of Sarah Churchill, Anna Roosevelt and Kathleen Harriman. Date: Thursday, 17 June @ 7pm BST (London time - GMT + 1).

The event is hosted by my Anglo-Polish London club, "Ognisko Polski" a.k.a. "The Polish Hearth Club". Located on Exhibition Road in South Kensington, The Polish Hearth Club was founded during WWII for Polish officers and members of the Government-in-Exile.  Under the patronage of HRH The Duke of Kent, it has been visited by HM The Queen and several Prime Ministers, including Churchill.

Event details:

"Zoom event discussing the controversial Yalta Conference with Author Catherine Katz introducing her book: 'The Daughters of Yalta'.

The historical context is presented by Professor Norman Davies and the social aspects by Professor Jerzy Kolankiewicz."

Registration for this Zoom talk is free. Further information is in the email I am forwarding below. Alternatively, the same information may be found on the website: http://www.ogniskopolskie.org.uk/events/the-daughters-of-yalta.aspx
A Polish Club and restaurant in South Kensington, London. Please phone 020 7589 0101 for restaurant reservations and 020 7589 4670 for club matters.

The Daughters of Yalta

Dear Members and Friends,

Our next Ognisko Polskie Zoom event will be taking place tomorrow. It will be discussing the controversial Yalta Conference with author Catherine Katz introducing her book: “The Daughters of Yalta”. The historical context will be presented by Professor Norman Davies and I will be presenting the social aspects.

We look forward to seeing you and as always after the presentations there will be an oppurtunity to mingle via Zoom's online rooms.

Yours sincerely,

Professor Jerzy Kolankiewicz
Chairman

The Daughters of Yalta

Taking place at 7 pm on Thursday 17th June using the Zoom app.

We are now using the registration process for our Zoom events so please use the link below to register.

Register for Event

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Much has been written about the historic Yalta Conference in February 1945, when Churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt met to decide the future of the postwar world. Little, however, is known about the role played behind the scenes by three young women. In “The Daughters of Yalta” Catherine Grace Katz tells the story through the eyes of Sarah Churchill, Anna Roosevelt and Kathleen Harriman, the daughter of W. Averell Harriman, the US ambassador to the Soviet Union. In the high stakes negotiations on the Black Sea, these women played a hidden role.

Skillfully written and meticulously researched, it’s an extraordinary work that reveals the human side underlying the politics.

Catherine Grace Katz

Catherine Grace Katz is a writer and historian from Chicago. She graduated from Harvard in 2013 with a BA in History and received her MPhil in Modern European History from Christ’s College, University of Cambridge in 2014, where she wrote her dissertation on the origins of modern counterintelligence practices.

After graduating, Catherine worked in finance in New York City before a very fortuitous visit to the book store in the lobby of her office in Manhattan led her to return to history and writing. She is currently pursuing her JD at Harvard Law School. The Daughters of Yalta is her first book.

Information about the other participants in this event can be found on our website:

View on Website

Connect With Us:
Ognisko's Website
Ognisko's Facebook Page
Ognisko's Twitter Feed
Ognisko's Instagram Page
Contact Info:

Telephone: 020 7589 4670

Email: Off...@OgniskoPolskie.org.uk

Ognisko Polskie
55 Exhibition Road
South Kensington
London
SW7 2PN

Lee Pollock

Jun 17, 2021, 10:41:56 AM6/17/21
to church...@googlegroups.com
Rafi - thanks for posting this. I know Catherine Katz well  and the book has been very well received (including by Andrew Roberts). The Churchill Society was pleased to have supported her research and this program will be well worth watching.

Hope you are well and best regards.

Lee

On Jun 16, 2021, at 4:19 PM, Rafal Heydel-Mankoo <hey...@hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

<1.jpg>

[...]

<2.jpg>

Catherine Grace Katz

Catherine Grace Katz is a writer and historian from Chicago. She graduated from Harvard in 2013 with a BA in History and received her MPhil in Modern European History from Christ’s College, University of Cambridge in 2014, where she wrote her dissertation on the origins of modern counterintelligence practices.

After graduating, Catherine worked in finance in New York City before a very fortuitous visit to the book store in the lobby of her office in Manhattan led her to return to history and writing. She is currently pursuing her JD at Harvard Law School. The Daughters of Yalta is her first book.

<3.jpg>

Information about the other participants in this event can be found on our website:

View on Website

<4.jpg>