David Stafford on Clare Sheridan

Richard Langworth

Mar 25, 2020, 6:13:29 PM3/25/20
to ChurchillChat

Enjoy the latest from The Churchill Project.

Clare Sheridan: “The nearest thing to a sister that Winston ever had.”

By DAVID STAFFORD, Monday, March 23, 2020 8:08 AM

Clare

He died in 1965 and Clare followed him five years later. Their relationship has been side-lined or ignored by many biographers more interested in politics than in Churchill’s private life. But the bust made by the “Obstreperous Anarchist” forever stands in the hallway of Chartwell. It is mute testimony to a family friendship that endured through tempestuous times.

Dr. Stafford is author of Oblivion or Glory, 1921 and the Making of Winston Churchill, reviewed by W.J. Shepherd for the Hillsdale Churchill Project.

Craig Horn

Mar 25, 2020, 8:06:54 PM3/25/20
to church...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear that David Stafford is still around. I totally lost track of him. One of my pipe dreams was to enroll in one of the summer programs at the University of Edinburg WWII Studies and have Stafford as a lecturer. Is he still there, do you know?

   Craig
Craig Horn, Rep.  District 68
North Carolina General Assembly

Richard Langworth

Mar 25, 2020, 8:25:15 PM3/25/20
to ChurchillChat
On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 8:06:54 PM UTC-4, DCraigHorn wrote:
Great to hear that David Stafford is still around. I totally lost track of him. One of my pipe dreams was to enroll in one of the summer programs at the University of Edinburg WWII Studies and have Stafford as a lecturer. Is he still there, do you know?

From our article:

The Author

Adapted from David Stafford’s latest book Oblivion or Glory: The Making of Winston Churchill 1921, New Haven and London, Yale University Press, 2019. Professor Stafford is a historian and former diplomat who has written extensively on espionage, intelligence, Churchill, and the Second World War. The former Project Director at the Centre for The Study of the Two World Wars at the University of Edinburgh, he is now an Honorary Fellow of the University and an Adjunct Professor at the University of Victoria in British Columbia, where he and his wife now live.

Antoine Capet

Mar 26, 2020, 6:11:45 AM3/26/20
to church...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I know that some of you collect all books about Churchill in any language,
including translations.

They may not be aware that Andrew Roberts's superb _Walking With Destiny_
now has a Spanish version (over 1,500 pages !):

Churchill: La biografía
Tomás Fernández Aúz (Traductor)
Colección: Serie Mayor
Publishers Barcelona: Planeta, 2019