Translating material

Abigail Petrie

Dec 13, 2018, 8:48:25 AM12/13/18
to chibolts
How would you deal with short phrases in a different language? I live in Wales so a lot of my storybook reading interactions have interjections in Welsh that I still want to code as part of the interactions e.g. da iawn = very good, child will often count in Welsh, parent will respond with "beth?" instead of "what?".

Brian MacWhinney

Dec 13, 2018, 11:27:31 AM12/13/18
to ChiBolts
Dear Abigail,
    I assume that you are saying that the major language in the interaction is English, perhaps because the book is written in English, but that people are occasionally switching to Welsh.  There are guidelines in section 16.1 of the CHAT manual about how to code this.

-- Brian MacWhinney, Teresa Heinz Professor of Cognitive Psychology, CMU