fluency coding (repeated segments)

Daniella Skinner

Nov 30, 2017, 9:41:43 AM11/30/17
to chibolts
Hi,
I am trying to insert the curly left arrow on CHAT for the fluency code for a repeated sound, which chap 13 of the manual says to use F2 and / to inset the symbol, however it is just appearing as a box, does anyone know why this is?
Also I am unclear as to whether I need to use the ampersand - or + symbol for this code also?

Many thanks,
Daniella

Leonid Spektor

Nov 30, 2017, 10:55:09 AM11/30/17
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Daniella,

The reason you get a box is because you have not selected the font for the document in CALN that can display this character. Normally CVLAN can select the right font, but it is possible that your computer is missing the few fonts that CLAN prefers or something else has failed. On PC you need to select either "Arial Unicode MS" or "Arial" font. On Mac CLAN prefers "Arial Unicode MS" font. If you have installed MS Word, then this font should have been installed as well. If it is missing, then try "Lucida Sans Unicode" font.

As for &+ or &- I will leave this to someone else more qualified to answer. The table in section "13 Disfluency Transcription" in CHAT manual that you have already seen give examples of "phonological fragment" &+... and "filled pause" &-...

Leonid.

Nan Bernstein Ratner

Nov 30, 2017, 11:16:05 AM11/30/17
to chib...@googlegroups.com
You do not need to use additional symbols. You need to mark the onset on the repetition sequence with curly arrow, and the iterations (number of repeated segments) separated by dashes, then close the sequence with curly arrow.

An illustration is in the fluency codes appendix in the SLP Guide to CLAN.

Nan Bernstein Ratner, F-, H-ASHA, F-AAAS, ABCLD
Professor
Hearing and Speech Sciences
University of Maryland
0100 Lefrak Hall
College Park, MD 20742

ADVANCE Professor, College of Behavioral and Social Sciences
Director, University of Maryland Autism Research Consortium (UMARC), www.autism.umd.edu
Faculty, Language Science (languagescience.umd..edu), Neuroscience & Cognitive Neuroscience (NACS, nacs.umd.edu), Developmental Science Field Committee