Problem when using freq and +s switch on %mor tier

Cynthia Audisio

Mar 14, 2019, 5:51:44 PM3/14/19
to chibolts
Dear chibolts,

I've been trying to search for a list of words using Freq command over a set of files. I'm interested in the %mor tier, however, whenever I use the command I get 0 occurrences, which is clearly wrong. To make sure the problem wasn't in my .cha files, I used Adler example files but still got 0 occurrences.

This is the command I've typed in: freq +s"how" *.cha  +t%mor +o +o3 +u

In that case, I'm only searching for the word 'how'. As I would like to search for a list of words, the command would look like this: freq +...@file.cut *.cha  +t%mor +o +o3 +u (this didn't work either).

Thanks,
Cynthia

Nan Bernstein Ratner

Mar 14, 2019, 6:51:12 PM3/14/19
to chib...@googlegroups.com
I could be wrong, but I don't think you want the quotes around HOW; it will literally look for HOW inside quotes? Gmail is doing all sorts of stuff when I try to type PLUSSHOW, but I think that's what would work.

Nan Bernstein Ratner, F-, H-ASHA, F-AAAS, ABCLD
Professor
Hearing and Speech Sciences
University of Maryland
0100 Lefrak Hall
College Park, MD 20742

President, International Fluency Association (IFA; http://theifa.org)
Director, University of Maryland Autism Research Consortium (UMARC), www.autism.umd.edu
Faculty, Language Science (languagescience.umd.edu; Neuroscience & Cognitive Neuroscience (NACS, nacs.umd.edu), Developmental Science Field Committee

Brian MacWhinney

Mar 14, 2019, 8:03:25 PM3/14/19
to ChiBolts, Cynthia Audisio
Dear Cynthia,
     If you want to search on the %mor tier, you need a more complicated +s switch.  Using just +show or +s"how" works fine for the main tier, where the word "how" appears by itself with no additional morphological markup.  However, on the %mor tier, "how" appears as adv:wh|how.  So, then you could have a search string such as +s"*|how" or even +s"adv:wh|how".   If you have a list of words and if you are committed to using the %mor tier, then you would need to create a fancier include file for your +s...@myword.cut switch.

For even fancier searches on the %mor line, please take a look at all the examples in the CLAN manual under the FREQ command.

--Brian MacWhinney

On Mar 14, 2019, at 5:51 PM, Cynthia Audisio <cpau...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear chibolts,

I've been trying to search for a list of words using Freq command over a set of files. I'm interested in the %mor tier, however, whenever I use the command I get 0 occurrences, which is clearly wrong. To make sure the problem wasn't in my .cha files, I used Adler example files but still got 0 occurrences.

This is the command I've typed in: freq +s"how" *.cha  +t%mor +o +o3 +u

In that case, I'm only searching for the word 'how'. As I would like to search for a list of words, the command would look like this: freq +s...@file.cut *.cha  +t%mor +o +o3 +u (this didn't work either).

Thanks,
Cynthia

Leonid Spektor

Mar 14, 2019, 10:52:13 PM3/14/19
to 'heba salama' via chibolts
Cynthia,

Please type command "freq +sm" and you will see how this option works and you will see some example that would help you create different searches. For example, in your case you would type "freq +sm;how *.cha +o +o3 +u". If you want to use include file with option +s...@file.cut, then
the file.cut would contain lines with special %mor tier format like:

m;how
m;where
m;what

Leonid.

On Mar 14, 2019, at 17:51, Cynthia Audisio <cpau...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear chibolts,

I've been trying to search for a list of words using Freq command over a set of files. I'm interested in the %mor tier, however, whenever I use the command I get 0 occurrences, which is clearly wrong. To make sure the problem wasn't in my .cha files, I used Adler example files but still got 0 occurrences.

This is the command I've typed in: freq +s"how" *.cha  +t%mor +o +o3 +u

In that case, I'm only searching for the word 'how'. As I would like to search for a list of words, the command would look like this: freq +s...@file.cut *.cha  +t%mor +o +o3 +u (this didn't work either).

Thanks,
Cynthia

Cynthia Audisio

Mar 15, 2019, 11:56:47 AM3/15/19