Downloading CLAN on a HP Chromebook

Nan Ratner Lab

Feb 12, 2015, 6:26:15 PM2/12/15
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

One of the students in our lab was trying to download CLAN on her HP Chromebook, however, the software would not download from Google Chrome.  She could not download Safari or any other internet program to download CLAN from either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Allison Catalano

Brian MacWhinney

Feb 12, 2015, 6:59:13 PM2/12/15
to ChiBolts
Dear Allison,

      I have never seen or used a Chromebook.  What operating system does it use?  CLAN and its installer are designed for OS X and Windows.  I don’t know how well the Chromebook would support other software.  Perhaps the problem is not CLAN,or the browser, but the capabilities of the notebook.  Can she download things like the CLAN manual or data files from the CHILDES web site?

— Brian

Melissa Senor

Feb 13, 2015, 7:53:06 AM2/13/15
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Allison,

I have a Chromebook and you cannot. It is Google applications only practically and I haven't tried downloading CLAN myself but I know you can't download any programs. It is a web-based computer. It's practical for on the go but as Brian said it has it's own operating system, it's not a Mac or Windows.

Melissa Señor

Sent from my iPhone

Nan Ratner Lab