Combining individual CLAN outputs into an Excel spreadsheet

mio...@mail.harvard.edu

May 28, 2018, 12:12:18 AM5/28/18
to chibolts
Hi!

Is there a way to make CLAN automatically combine the individual outputs into an Excel spreadsheet? I have about 100 files for which I'm picking out nouns (freq +sm;*,|n,o%+u*.cha @), and CLAN is giving me the results in the output window. Before I manually copy and paste these outputs for each sample into Excel, I wanted to hear if anyone could give me advice!

Thanks in advance!

Leonid Spektor

May 28, 2018, 4:36:27 AM5/28/18
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

FREQ has +f option that will put output into a file instead of output window. FREQ also has +d2 and +d3 options that will create Excel output file. In CLAN Excel output is called "SPREADSHEET format". A lot of CLAN commands have this option.

Leonid.

mio...@mail.harvard.edu

May 28, 2018, 2:13:32 PM5/28/18
to chibolts
Thank you, Leonid!

I do have one more question.

I'm currently doing research that looks at nominalizations in students' written work. To do this, I've attached MOR tags to each student file and have generated a list of nouns and then a list of nominalizations for the whole sample. Now I'd like to check on how many times each student used the words on my nominalization list--is there a way to run the student writing samples against my nominalization list in CLAN to get the number of nominalizations used in each writing file?

Thanks so much in advance!
Min

Leonid Spektor

May 28, 2018, 4:30:00 PM5/28/18
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Min,

You can use the nominalization list to count how many times students used those words in their written work. You need to put each nominalization word in a include file, one word per line, and then run FREQ command with +s...@nominalization.cut option. This assumes that you call the nominalization list file "nominalization.cut". The format of the "nominalization.cut" file depends on whether you are looking for words on speaker tier or lemmas of words on %mor tier. For speaker tier search just use the words as they appear on speaker tier. For %mor tier search use +sm option format. You can run command "freq +sm" to see more information about this format or read more about it in CLAN manual. Here is a short example of %mor include file format:

m;do
m;be
m;there
m;it

This will look for stems/lemmas of speaker's tier words "do", "be", "there" and "it", but on %mor tier. The prefix "m;" indicates that you want CLAN to search on %mor tier.

If you have any questions about this, then please email to me directly with your data sample file and I will try to give you a more precise suggestion of how to accomplish what you want to do.

Leonid.

Min Hyun Oh

May 28, 2018, 6:04:32 PM5/28/18
to chib...@googlegroups.com