CLAN for Catalina

Brian MacWhinney

Oct 8, 2020, 4:59:39 PM10/8/20
to CHILDES, ChiBolts
Dear Info-CHILDES and ChiBolts,
There is now an early, incomplete release of CLAN that will work on OS X Catalina 10.15, as well as OS X from 10.6 to 10.14.  It is called CLANc.  It can be downloaded from a link at https://dali.talkbank.org/clan.  CLANc is currently missing these components:

Coder's Mode (coming soon)
Sonic CHAT
Set F5 option
The Size/Style menu
Several rarely-used CLAN Options
Define line numbers
Hide tiers
Continuous skip play
Send to Sound Analyzer

Over the next weeks, these additional features will be added bit by bit to the release version.

If you decide to install CLANc, please make sure that there is no other version of CLAN currently installed on your computer.

Brian MacWhinney (他)
Teresa Heinz Professor of
Cognitive Psychology,
Computational Linguistics,
and Modern Languages, CMU

Donna Jackson

Oct 8, 2020, 5:07:08 PM10/8/20
to chib...@googlegroups.com
fantastic!!! This is great news. Thank you Brian and your whole team
Donna Jackson-Maldonado

Donna Jackson-Maldonado
Centro de Estudios Lingüísticos y Literarios
Facultad de Lenguas y Letras, Universidad Autónoma de Querétaro
Campus Aeropuerto, Circuito Fray Junípero Serra Km 8
Santiago de Querétaro, Qro., México 76140

web: http://www.donnajackson.weebly.com
e-mail: djacksonqr...@gmail.com
tel: 52 442 192 1200 ex. 61200 o 61140
home: 52 442 2180264

Cathy Eaton

Oct 9, 2020, 5:14:44 PM10/9/20
to chibolts
Hello Brian and Leonid,

Thank you for your continual improvements. I have a student with macOS Catalina who tried to download CLANc today and received an error message (that said to contact the administrator). She received the same message with the older version as well. How should we go about troubleshooting this problem?

Thank you,
Cathy

Leonid Spektor

Oct 9, 2020, 6:25:13 PM10/9/20
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Cathy,

On macOS Catalina old version will not install at all. The new version might require user to go to System Preferences to tell macOS to open installer anyway. Below is the screenshot with the message on the right side from the system and the System Preferences dialog on the left side, that has "Open Anyway" button that needs to be pressed to allow installation to proceed.

Leonid.

Brian MacWhinney

Oct 9, 2020, 7:08:25 PM10/9/20
to ChiBolts
Dear Cathy,
    Dozens of people have been downloading without problems.  I download CLANc myself right now with no problem.  So, this is most likely something unique to her computer setup.  If she is using a machine linked to some University facility, she should contact her administrators there.  Perhaps they have set up some sort of firewall. Better still, she could try downloading from another machine on a different network.
    Just to be sure, I hope she is not talking about the scary message that the Catalilna system gives when installing new software for the first time about the software being "malicious".  When you get this you have to go into System Preferences/Security to allow installation.  This only happens the first time you install a new program.

--Brian MacWhinney