augmentative marking on %mor line

Janet Y Bang

Feb 14, 2019, 5:47:41 PM2/14/19
to chib...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

We had a question about the AUG marking on the MOR line in our Spanish transcripts. These are three examples from our transcripts, with the primary question being for Case 3 below.

Case 1 - this seems to make sense because of the "-ota" marking.

*MOT: abre la boca grandota .
%mor: v|abri-3S&PRES=open det:art|el&f&SG=the n|boca&f=mouth adj|grande-AUG=big .

Case 2 - this potentially make sense since "sillón" could be considered a version of "silla".
*MOT: te gusta como huele el sillón cousin_name ?
%mor: pro:obj|te=you v|gusta-3S&PRES=like adv|como=like v|ole-3S&PRES=smell det:art|el&m&SG=the n|silla&m-AUG=chair n|cousin_name ?

Case 3 - here, it seems less clear since it seems like the lemma should be "ratón", with additional markings for the diminutive "-ito" and the plural "-s".
MOT: mira son [x 2] ratoncitos, que están coloreando .
%mor: co|mira=look cop|se-3P&PRES=be n|rato&m-AUG-DIM-PL=rat pro:rel|que=that aux|esta-3P&PRES=be part|colorea-PRPART=color .

We might have missed how this is marked in the MOR manual, but is there somewhere we can look to better understand how these are being parsed?

Thank you,

Janet

--

Janet Y. Bang, Ph.D.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Psychology

Stanford University

jb...@stanford.edu

Brian MacWhinney

Feb 14, 2019, 8:33:54 PM2/14/19
to ChiBolts
Dear Janet,
    To trace through a complete morphological analysis, you would need to enter the word with mor +xi and then read the debug.txt file.  All the information is there, but there is way too much information unless you really need to debug something.  To what level of depth are you interested in understanding this?  Perhaps you could just take a look at the diminutives in 0affix.cut and a few of the diminutive and augmenative ar and cr rules.
    In the case of #3, however, you don't need to go through any of this, since there is just a mistake. The lemma should be "rata" not "rato".  I fixed that.  I see that I had also just hard-wired ratoncito into n.cut and used rato as the stem.  I changed that to "rata' too.  A new version of SPA is on the web.

--Brian

Janet Bang

Feb 15, 2019, 12:41:34 AM2/15/19
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

Nope that is all helpful! We were just confused with ratoncito but then the rest we've spot-checked seem to align with the affix.cut file.

Thank you for that!
Janet