Using FREQ/KWAL to output quoted material

Cathy Lonngren

Jul 17, 2019, 8:09:38 AM7/17/19
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am having trouble knowing how to get FREQ and KWAL to search for words/sequences of words which have been coded as quotes (see examples below). I have tried all manner of command lines and consulted the manuals for clues but as of yet I have had no luck. I am sure there is a simple solution but haven't yet found it - any help greatly appreciated!

Examples from the corpus:
1) Metalinguistic usage
*JAM: how do we say “bath” in Portuguese ?

*JAM: how do you say “ratinhos@s” ? [+ ep]

2) Entire quotes
*MEG: when Scamp's father came, (.) Scamp said +"/.
%add: MOT
*MEG: +" are you ready to?
%add: MOT
*MEG: no, and then Scamp's father said +"/.
%add: MOT
*MEG: +" are you ready to go home?

Many thanks,

Cathy Lonngren-Sampaio

Leonid Spektor

Jul 17, 2019, 12:27:25 PM7/17/19
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Cathy,

Quotes are tricky. The basic command to find tiers with quotes is:

kwal +s\+\" +s\+\"/. +s“ *.cha

Command to count quotes is:

freq +s\+\" +s\+\"/. +s“ *.cha

The tricky part is to search for words “bath” and “ratinhos@s” themselves, because quotes can be used to cover more than one word and CLAN is designed to work on one word at the time. Let me know if you want to find quoted words themselves. Or if you just want to know how many quotes there are in the data. In the last case you can use command shown above.

Leonid.

Leonid Spektor

Jul 17, 2019, 4:40:12 PM7/17/19
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Cathy,

I have change CLAN to search for quoted text better. If you get new CLAN from the web, then you will be able to use following commands:

kwal +s\+\" +s\+\"/. +s“ *.cha
freq +s\+\" +s\+\"/. +s“*” *.cha

Leonid.

Cathy Lonngren

Jul 18, 2019, 4:04:31 AM7/18/19
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leonid,

Many thanks for your reply. I will download the latest version of CLAN and try the commands you have suggested.

All the best,

Cathy