Pull out sequences of codes on coding tiers

Imac Maria Zambrana

Sep 15, 2017, 11:48:04 AM9/15/17
to chib...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I have a question about whether there is an efficient way to pull out sequences of codes on coding tiers. For example, we have coded the questions that a child asks and are interested in the frequency of the different types of parental responses on the next parent coding tier.

We basically wish to be able to track two kinds of sequences of codes on dependent tiers but for CHI/MOT or MOT/CHI, as follows:

1. To calculate the freq of instances where for example $Q:WWH on the %spa dependent tier of *CHI is followed by $HIN:Q on the %spa dependent tier of the *MOT.

2. To calculate the freq of instances where for example $S:A on the %acc dependent tier of *CHI is preceded by $HIN:Q on the %spa dependent tier of the *MOT.

We realize that we could KWAL each instance of the child's code +/- some number of utterances and have also been recommended to try some combination of KWAL +w2 and COMBO to see if this could give us what we need, both of which we'll try out. However, we are wondering if this could be done more automatically with some other type of command?

Thanks for your help!

Imac Zambrana

Brian MacWhinney

Sep 15, 2017, 12:08:16 PM9/15/17
to chib...@googlegroups.com

Dear Imac,

You need to look at section 7.4.5 in the CLAN manual on cluster searches in KWAL.  This should do it.

--Brian MacWhinney

Imac Maria Zambrana

Sep 15, 2017, 1:10:21 PM9/15/17
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Dear Brian,

Thanks so much for the fast response! Will take a closer look at this.

Best, Imac