Running MLU on selected codes

hannein...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2019, 2:39:52 PM2/6/19
to chibolts

Hi,

I’ve coded parent-child interactions using the %spa-line. The coding is performed on a turn level, meaning that one turn can contain of several utterances. In those instances where a turn consist of two or more utterances, I’ve used the @Bg and @Eg symbols, to mark the start and end of a turn, like this:

@Bg

*MOT: shall mummy taste.

*MOT: that was good.

%spa: CONT:resp

@Eg

Now I want to compare MLU on utterances coded with one specific code (e.g. %spa:CONT:resp) with the MLU on utterances coded with other codes (e.g. %spa:IN:tru and %spa:IN:resp). Is there a way to do this in CLAN?

Thank you,
Hanne

Leonid Spektor

Feb 6, 2019, 3:19:21 PM2/6/19
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Hanne,

You can use KWAL to extract all utterances with codes that you are interested in and then run MLU on the output of KWAL command. Use "+d +o@ +o%MOR" options with KWAL.

Leonid.

hannein...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2019, 5:35:19 AM2/12/19
to chibolts

Thank you, Leonid.

I`ve tried this command, but when I extract the codes I`m interested in, I only get the utterance preceding the code (i.e. the last utterance).
Then I`ve tried the GEM-command to get the whole turns, like this:

 gem +t*FATH +t%spa +f +u @

This command gives me all gems, but I`m only interested in some gems coded with specific codes (it does not work with the +s"$*CONT:resp*" function, as in kwal).

Also, I can`t figure out how to run MLU on all utterances within a gem coded with specific codes.

Thanks again,

Hanne

Leonid Spektor

Feb 12, 2019, 6:27:02 AM2/12/19
to 'heba salama' via chibolts
Hanne,

I think I misunderstood what you wanted. The coding on dependent tiers, like %spa, only refers to the utterances that the dependent tier is following. In those cases you can use KWAL command to extract those utterances.

If you want codes to refer to multiple utterances, then the code has to be on @Bg and @Eg tiers. Then you can use GEM command to extract just those utterances. Depending on how many gems your data file has you might be able to use @G tier instead of @Bg and @Eg tiers.

It sound like in your case codes should be on @Bg and @Eg tiers like so:

@Bg: CONT:resp

*MOT: shall mummy taste.
*MOT: that was good.
@Eg: CONT:resp

This way the command "gem +t*FATH +sCONT:resp +f +u @" will do what you want.

If you could email to me directly one of your typical data files, then I could better advise you how to proceed.

Leonid.